Looking for a simple air fryer whole chicken recipe? This rotisserie chicken is juicy, flavorful, and simple to make. The skin crisps perfectly. Requires little basting. Extremely easy for those who love to host Sunday dinners!
I find that making roasted chicken in the air fryer is very simple. Have less of a mess, and it leaves the skin ultra-crispy.
Roasting chicken in the air fryer is very similar to oven roasted chicken, the difference is a crispier texture and a more compact cooking environment. Rotisserie chicken can be served with your favorite mashed potatoes, garden salad, or if you prefer rice, you can serve it with a side of this Haitian black rice.
Below are what’s included in this homemade rotisserie style chicken.
- Whole chicken – This recipe calls for a 5 lb. whole chicken. Be sure that the bird size will fit in your air fryer basket.
- Bell peppers & Onion (optional) – the bell pepper and onion are used to stuff in the chicken. They also help to flavor the chicken as it cooks.
- Garlic powder – Provides a robust garlicky flavor and compliments the herbs.
- Salt and pepper – To season the meat. I used kosher salt in this recipe and ground peppercorn.
- Paprika – I use it to help add color to the meat. It also has a sweet mild flavor.
- Melted butter & herbs – To base the bird halfway through to provide a crispy layer.
- Olive oil spray – To spray the basket.
How to prepare the rub?
The method is simple. In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika together. Set aside.
How to roast the chicken in the air fryer?
Wash and pat the chicken dry. I have a step by step method on how I clean chicken in this Poulet en sauce recipe.
[mv_video doNotOptimizePlacement=”false” doNotAutoplayNorOptimizePlacement=”false” jsonLd=”true” key=”vthrdz2ojkrrhsgmycnh” ratio=”16:9″ thumbnail=”https://mediavine-res.cloudinary.com/v1615356344/ajn7p08woqd3q3hxcbj2.jpg” title=”Air Fryer Whole Chicken” volume=”70″]Place the chicken in a large bowl. Cut the onions and peppers into large pieces and stuff them inside the chicken.
Apply the rub all over the chicken.
Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray.
Place the chicken breast down in the basket, then cook on 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile melt the butter and mix in the herbs in a small bowl.
Baste the chicken with the melted butter and herbs mixture. Cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
Cooking any bird in the oven can be intimating. Especially if this is your first time. I always stick to the 350 degrees “rule” when I am not sure of what to do. However, as I became more comfortable, I have ventured off that rule a bit. To properly cook a whole bird in the oven without any fuss, below are the basic steps.
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Second, once the oven reaches the temperature above, place the chicken in a roasting pan. Season the chicken. If all fails, salt and pepper always work great.
- Turn the bird breast down, bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, uncovered. Be sure to read the packaging label as it sometimes will give you the exact time to cook the bird per pound.
- Baste the chicken a couple times while it’s cooking with the juice that it releases or with melted butter for a crispy layer.
How long does it take to roast a chicken?
Chicken usually roast for 90 minutes in the oven depending on the size, or until the temperature in the center of a thigh, not touching the bone, registers 185°F on an instant-read meat thermometer.
Typically, it is 20 minutes per pound to roast a whole chicken in the oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Although when roasting, the best temperature to use is 400 degrees; however, the rules change as it is applied to meat.
Be mindful for this recipe the whole chicken will cook for 50 minutes in the air fryer.
Other ways to make rotisserie chicken
If you a fan of slow cooked meals, then you’ll love to know that you can also make slow cooker rotisserie chicken right in your instant pot. Using the same rub stated above and in the recipe card, place the chicken on the instant pot rack, cover and seal, cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Slow cook recipes are always a great alternative as it requires no attention.
Chicken Serving Suggestions
When you’re ready to eat, cut the chicken up and serve it with your favorite side. We love this air fryer whole chicken with all of these recipes:
- You can use the rub to marinate the chicken overnight. While the whole chicken marinades, occasionally turn the bird to make sure it is well coated while in the fridge.
- Allow the chicken to cook. Only base after 30 minutes of cooking time. This will help the moisture to remain and the chicken to cook evenly.
- Do not use a baking bag as it is not needed in the air fryer.
- Always make sure that the thermometer reads 165 degrees or higher instantly as you insert it into the thickest part of the chicken without touching bone.
Other air fryer dishes
Other Chicken Recipes You Might Enjoy
Thai Chicken Skewers
By the way, it warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially would love to know if you tried this recipe.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken Recipe
- 5 Lbs. Whole Chicken giblets removed
- ½ 1 Bell Pepper Optional
- 1 Small Onion Optional
- Olive Oil Spray
For the Rub
- 1 ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
For the Baste
- 2 tablespoon Melted Butter Unsalted
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme Chopped; Dried herbs are fine to use.
For The Rub
- In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika together. Set aside.
- Wash and pat the chicken dry. Be sure to remove the giblets. Place the chicken in a large bowl. Cut the onions and peppers into large pieces and stuff them inside the chicken. Next, apply the rub all over the chicken.Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the chicken breast down in the basket, then cook on 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Within one minute remaining, melt the butter and mix in the herbs in a small bowl.
- Baste the chicken with the melted butter and herbs mixture. Cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.