Here’s a chicken dinner that everyone will love and crave. Perfectly cooked air fryer whole chicken for an easy weeknight dinner. This air fried chicken is juicy and crispy, making it an ideal choice for entertaining.
For A Perfect Air Fryer Chicken Recipe
This air fryer whole chicken is juicy on the inside and very crispy on the outside. The skin is cooked to a golden crisp from the olive oil, leaving you with the right amount of layer desirable skin.
This post has been updated to include new pictures. A slight variation was also made to the recipe. The new recipe includes the following ingredients only. This post now includes two different methods to choose from. The more the merrier!
- Whole chicken – This recipe calls for a 5 lb. whole chicken. We highly recommend you use a bird that will fit in your air fryer basket.
- Garlic and onion powder – Provides a robust garlicky and onion flavor and compliments the herbs.
- Salt and lemon pepper – To season the meat. We used kosher salt in this recipe and lemon pepper seasoning.
- Paprika – We use it to help add color to the meat. It also has a sweet mild flavor.
- Olive oil – This will help the dry seasoning stick to the chicken.
The original recipe ingredients (and recipe video) to make this air fryer whole chicken is listed below.
- Whole chicken – This recipe calls for a 5 lb. whole chicken. Be sure that the bird size will fit in your air fryer basket.
- Bell peppers & Onion (optional) – the bell pepper and onion are used to stuff in the chicken. They also help to flavor the chicken as it cooks.
- Garlic powder – Provides a robust garlicky flavor and compliments the herbs.
- Salt and pepper – To season the meat. I used kosher salt in this recipe and ground peppercorn.
- Paprika – I use it to help add color to the meat. It also has a sweet mild flavor.
- Melted butter & herbs – To base the bird halfway through to provide a crispy layer.
- Olive oil spray – To spray the basket.
Spatchcock Method – How To Spatchcock A Chicken
Dating back to the 18th-centry in Ireland, to spatchcock a chicken, one would remove the backbone from the tail to the neck of the bird.
This method allows the bird to lay flat – opened, similar to butterfly. This allows the chicken to cook faster, which in term shorten the cooking time.
Spatchcocking also allow you to better season the bird.
The process to spatchcock your chicken is very simple. You will need a good pair of scissors or sharp knife.
To spatchcock a chicken….
Prepare the bird by cleaning it and removing all the gunk and visible fat. Remove the neck and gizzard. Remove the parts or discard the chicken parts.
Place the chicken on a cutting board and turn the chicken over on the stomach. Take the scissors / shears and cut the chicken from the tail to the neck on both sides.
Next, press down firmly to break the breastbone. Clip the tip of the wings, if desired, and that’s it. You have successfully spatchcock your chicken.
How To Prepare The Rub?
The method is simple. In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika together. Set aside.
After you have butterflied your chicken or spatchcock your chicken, wash the chicken well.
To clean the chicken thoroughly, check out our poulet en sauce recipe for full step by step on how to wash the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Next, place the chicken on a plate or in the air frying basket.
In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients well.
Rub olive oil over the chicken to help the seasoning stick to the meat.
Use your hands or spoon and apply the seasoning all over the meat (“inside” and “out”).
Air fry the whole chicken at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Baste the chicken with the melted butter and herbs, if desired or simply apply olive oil on the chicken to keep it crispy. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
How to roast the chicken in the air fryer?
Wash and pat the chicken dry. I have a step by step method on how I clean chicken in this Poulet en sauce recipe.
Place the chicken in a large bowl. Cut the onions and peppers into large pieces and stuff them inside the chicken.
Apply the rub all over the chicken.
Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray.
Place the chicken breast down in the basket, then cook on 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile melt the butter and mix in the herbs in a small bowl.
Baste the chicken with the melted butter and herbs mixture. Cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
Cooking any bird in the oven can be intimating. Especially if this is your first time. I always stick to the 350 degrees “rule” when I am not sure of what to do. However, as I became more comfortable, I have ventured off that rule a bit. To properly cook a whole bird in the oven without any fuss, below are the basic steps.
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Second, once the oven reaches the temperature above, place the chicken in a roasting pan. Season the chicken. If all fails, salt and pepper always work great.
- Turn the bird breast down, bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, uncovered. Be sure to read the packaging label as it sometimes will give you the exact time to cook the bird per pound.
- Baste the chicken a couple times while it’s cooking with the juice that it releases or with melted butter for a crispy layer.
How long does it take to air fry a chicken?
Chicken usually roast for 90 minutes in the oven depending on the size, or until the temperature in the center of a thigh, not touching the bone, registers 185°F on an instant-read meat thermometer.
Typically, it is 20 minutes per pound to roast a whole chicken in the oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Although when roasting, the best temperature to use is 400 degrees; however, the rules change as it is applied to meat.
Be mindful for this recipe the whole chicken will cook for 50 minutes in the air fryer.
Other ways to make rotisserie chicken
If you a fan of slow cooked meals, then you’ll love to know that you can also make slow cooker rotisserie chicken right in your instant pot. Using the same rub stated above and in the recipe card, place the chicken on the instant pot rack, cover and seal, cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Slow cook recipes are always a great alternative as it requires no attention.
Chicken Serving Suggestions
When you’re ready to eat, cut the chicken up and serve it with your favorite side. We love this air fryer whole chicken with all of these recipes:
Air Frying Tips
- You can use the rub to marinate the chicken overnight. While the whole chicken marinades, occasionally turn the bird to make sure it is well coated while in the fridge.
- Allow the chicken to cook. Only base after 30 minutes of cooking time. This will help the moisture to remain and the chicken to cook evenly.
- Do not use a baking bag as it is not needed in the air fryer.
- Always make sure that the thermometer reads 165 degrees or higher instantly as you insert it into the thickest part of the chicken without touching bone.
Other air fryer dishes
Other Chicken Recipes You Might Enjoy
By the way, it warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially would love to know if you tried this recipe.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 5 Lbs. Whole Chicken Spatchcock; See Notes
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Pepper Seasoning Base
- 1 ½ Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 ½ Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Original Recipe For The Ingredients
- 5 Lbs. Whole Chicken giblets removed
- ½ 1 Bell Pepper Optional
- 1 Small Onion Optional
- Olive Oil Spray
Original Recipe For The Rub
- 1 ½ Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
Original Recipe For the Baste
- 2 Tbsp. Melted Butter Unsalted
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley Chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme Chopped; Dried herbs are fine to use.
- Clean the chicken thoroughly. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Next, place the chicken on a plate or in the air frying basket. In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients well. Rub olive oil over the chicken to help the seasoning stick to the meat.Use your hands or spoon and apply the seasoning all over the meat (“inside” and “out”). Air fry the whole chicken at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Baste the chicken with the melted butter and herbs, if desired or simply apply olive oil on the chicken to keep it crispy. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
Original Directions For The Rub (Optional Method)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika together. Set aside.
Original Directions For The Chicken (Optional Method)
- Wash and pat the chicken dry. Be sure to remove the giblets. Place the chicken in a large bowl. Cut the onions and peppers into large pieces and stuff them inside the chicken. Next, apply the rub all over the chicken.Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the chicken breast down in the basket, then cook on 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Within one minute remaining, melt the butter and mix in the herbs in a small bowl.
- Baste the chicken with the melted butter and herbs mixture. Cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.