Instant Pot Haitian Rice And Beans – Red beans and rice is a popular dish in Haiti. Traditionally prepared with Haitian Epis (Haitian Seasoning Base), and served throughout the year. The flavors in this Haitian red beans and rice is as bold as any flavors you will find in other Haitian recipes. This delicious and nourishing dish is an instant pot version. Thanks to pressure cookers, Haitian rice can be made in a matter of minutes!
Savory Thoughts: You cannot afford to live in potential for the rest of your life; at some point, you have to unleash the potential and make your move. – Eric Thomas
Haitian rice and beans can take hours to make. More specifically, it is because of the amount of the time it takes to cook the beans (2-4 hours). I pressure cook the beans in the instant pot in just a fraction of the time it would take to cook it on the stove. We’re talking about 20 minutes for the red small beans
Why Does This Instant Pot Haitian Rice And Beans Work?
Number one reason – No need to presoak the red small beans as they will be pressure cooked. Everything is made in the Instant Pot. No babysitting necessary. The automatic program does the work for you. You can also use canned
Typically, Haitian rice and beans can take up to six hours to make. Why? Well, the beans take forever to cook. With this version, the rice is cooked in about 35 minutes from start to finish! In the end, you are left with authentic Haitian flavor, and the rice and beans are cooked from scratch.
How To Make Instant Pot Haitian Rice and Beans?
To make this rice dish, you will need the following ingredients: small red beans, basmati rice or jasmine rice, onions, better than bouillon or Haitian epis, water, ground cloves (I purchased mine from Aldi), garlic, olive oil, and coconut milk.
First, add the beans and pressure cook in the Instant Pot (Pictures 1-2).
Cook for 20 minutes, then quick release. Drain using a strainer but reserve the water (Picture 3).
Wash the rice until the water is clear – should be about 3 washes. This will remove extra starch. Set aside.
On the instant Pot, click the sauté setting button and adjust the time to 5 minutes. Add the oil, garlic, and onions. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant, then add all of the other ingredients minus the water, cook for about 2 minutes, but stir ones (Picture 4).
Add the water from the beans, then coconut milk. Stir (Picture 5).
Add the rice. Stir. Cover with lid. Turn the steam release handle to “sealing”. Click on the “Rice” setting button; this will cook the rice for 12 minutes. Fluff and serve warm with your choice of meat and vegetables. Enjoy!
SAVE THIS INSTANT RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARDS!
ALSO, I AM ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES, LET’S CONNECT ON PINTEREST!
Instant Pot Haitian Rice And Beans
- 1 cup small red beans
- 2 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup chopped red onions
- 1 tbsp better than bouillon or Haitian Epis Haitian Base Seasoning)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 4 cups water
- In the Instant Pot (IP) add 4 cups water and cook the beans for 20 minutes on high pressure; turn the steam release handle to sealing. Quick release once cooked.
- Using a strainer, drain the beans and reserve the water. Wash the rice and set aside (see picture above).
- On the IP, click on sautee, set timer for 5 minutes. Add the oil, garlic, and onions. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the beans and stir once. Cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the better than bouillon paste, salt, black pepper, ground cloves. Stir once. Add the rice and stir once. Cook for another minute. Add water and coconut milk, stir once.
- Cover, seal and press the “Rice” setting. Cook for 12 minutes (do not exceed this time as you do not want the rice to overcook). Quick release. Fluff and serve warm with your choice of meat or vegetables. Enjoy!