If you are not familiar with plantain bread (plantain cake), you are in for a treat. This bread is gluten-free, delicious, and is a perfect alternative to banana bread and a great way to use your ripe plantains.
Savory Thoughts: “There is no love sincerer than the love of food.” ― George Bernard Shaw
In Haiti, we eat a lot of plantains. Caribbeans in general, eat a lot of plantains. This is to include boil, fried, or baked.
So it’s no secret we would also found a way to turn plantains into desserts as well or serve it as bread.
This bread is by far my favorite to make! If you are familiar with banana bread, it is pretty much the same method. The key is to make sure the plantain is ripe enough or soft enough. Once it starts turning yellow with brown or black spots, just like a banana, then it’s time to turn it into a dessert.
This bread/cake can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s the BEST!
How to make plantain bread (Plantain Cake)?
Very easy! You will need the following ingredients.
Plantain, gluten-free flour or pancake mix, sugar, butter, baking powder, sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract. See step-by-step picture in the recipe notes below.
Can plantains be substituted for bananas and Can plantains be too ripe?
Yes, you can use bananas in place of plantains and follow the same steps to make this bread. The riper the plantains, the sweeter it will be. In the end, it will taste as if you were eating banana bread.
Latest video – Haitian Tasso
If you love this plantain bread recipe, you’ll love these Macaroons!
SAVE THIS PLANTAIN BREAD RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARDS!
Also, I am always pinning tasty recipes, Let’s connect on Pinterest!
Plantain Bread (Plantain Cake) Recipe
- 2 plantains very ripe
- 1 cup gluten-free pancake and waffle mix
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 stick salted butter soften
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the plantains in small pieces to make it easier to mash.
- In a kitchen aid mixer or using an electric mixer, mash the plantains.
- Cream together the butter, eggs, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and vanilla extract one at a time. Combine to a smooth consistency.
- Fold in the flour and sour cream; alternate between each fold.
- Pour in a greased loaf pan or bundt pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy for breakfast or with ice cream for dessert.
Plantain Bread (Plantain Cake) Recipe Tip:Plantain - the more yellow they are, the sweeter the plantains will be. Flour - I prefer to use the Gluten-free pancake and waffle mix as it is sweet and it also has xanthan gum.
Plantain Bread (Plantain Cake) Recipe Step-by-Step Picture: