Also known as Poul Fri, Haitian Fried Chicken (Recette poulet frit) skips the batter of the American style dish and instead infuses the meat with aromatic spices and seasonings.
Haitian fried chicken is a great, affordable way to switch up a staple protein with some big, bold flavors and try out a new spin on a classic.
With a crispy surface and succulent, tasty middle, this Haitian Fried Chicken recipe is bound to become your new family favorite.
Thighs and drumsticks are great cuts for Haitian Fried Chicken (Recette poulet frit) as the higher fat content and bones prevent the meat from drying out.
It’s up to you whether you’d like to use both cuts or just stick to one, but both are great affordable options that lend themselves perfectly to being fried.
Don’t skip the step where you let the extra liquid drain off the chicken, as adding any liquid into hot oil will cause it to spit, which you want to minimize as much as you can.
The spice blend is what really sets Haitian Fried Chicken (Recette poulet frit) apart from other similar recipes, with a fragrant mix of garlic, cloves, sometimes paprika as well as hot pepper such as cayenne or Scotch bonnet pepper, and thyme that gives it that signature bold flavor profile.
Meanwhile, the citrus helps to cut through the spices and add an acidity that really balances out the dish.
Marinating the chicken in the refrigerator will help all these delicious spices to really penetrate the meat, resulting in a delicious dish, however if you are in a rush there’s no harm in letting it sit for just 30 minutes or so before you cook.
The flavors won’t be quite as deep, but you’ll still end up with some tasty fried chicken.
Do I Need A Deep Fryer To Make Haitian Fried Chicken?
While fryers can be convenient and help with temperature control, there’s no reason why you can’t fry your chicken in a deep sided metal or cast iron pot.
The main thing to bear in mind if you are using a pot is that you don’t want to fill it up more than a third, as hot oil expands and can be dangerous.
Similarly, if you are cooking on gas you want to make sure that the flames don’t extend outside of the sides of the pot so there is no risk of the oil igniting.
It may sound scary, but stick to the rules and keep a close eye on your oil and after a few tries you’ll be deep frying like a pro.
What Can I Serve With Haitian Fried Chicken?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Haitian fried chicken do not use flour batter. The chicken naturally crisp up when deep fried.
The best seasoning for Haitian fried chicken is to make sure you make the Epis. This will add the authentic flavor you are looking for.
Cleaning the meat is very important. We suggest following the method here in our poulet en sauce recipe to know how to clean the meat properly.
More Chicken Recipes To Enjoy
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Haitian Fried Chicken (Poul Fri) Recipe
- 9 Chicken Drumsticks Washed well and pat dry
- 7 Chicken Thighs Washed well and pat dry
- 2 Cups Haitian Epis
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt And Black Pepper 1 ½ teaspoon Each or to taste
- Juice From 1 Lemon
- 1 Qt. Vegetable Oil For Frying
Haitian Deep Fry Chicken
- Wash the meat well. See Poulet En Sauce post for washing instructions. Pat the meat dry with cleaned towel (optional), or simply transfer the meat to a large bowl onced cleaned. Add the Epis, salt and pepper (to taste), and lemon juice. Mix well until all of the pieces are coated with the seasoning on all sides. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to fry, add the oil to the pan or deep fryer. If using a deep fryer, adjut the temperature to 400°. If using a deep frying pan, allow the oil come to temperature at 385°.Add 3 pieces at a time as you do not want to overcrowd the pan or deep fryer, which will lower the temperature quickly. Deep fry dark meat, 3 at a time for up to 12 minutes. Deep fry white meat for up to 10 minutes depending on the size. Transfer to a cooling rack if serving immediately, or place in a dish and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Enjoy!
Haitian Air Fryer Chicken
- When ready to cook the chicken. Transfer the chicken tot he air fryer basket. Spray the chicken with olive oil. Air fryer at 400° for 30 minutes. Please see the Fish And Chips Post for air fryer suggestions.