The Best Chicken Fried Steak you would ever want to make for yourself and your family. This crispy country style steak is fried to perfection and topped with the richest, creamiest, and most delicious gravy.
Savory Thoughts: Results happen over time, not overnight. Work hard, stay consistent, and be patient. – Unknown
There’s nothing better than a good
The big man and little men in my family love it! Especially when it is topped with gravy. The outer layer is perfectly golden while the inside stays moist and juicy. It will have you going for seconds!
About Southern Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy
You guys know my husband is a foodie. I learn a lot of new recipes from him. He’s actually a great cook. But he also loves to go out to eat. He introduced me to chicken fried steak a while ago. He took me a truck stop (how romantic huh :)) where they serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner and he told me to get it off the menu. I am not a fan of gravy. But I listened and I ordered it off the menu. It was the BEST decision I could have made that day lol. The steak was well prepared. It was juicy. Had the right amount of kick, and the gravy was seasoned just right to compliment the steak. Of course, naturally, I went home and learned how to replicate this recipe.
Why does this easy Country Fried Steak recipe work?
It serves well for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Perfect, hearty meal to feed a large family, or growing kids.
Pairs well with eggs, salads, or any sides.
It is quick and easy to make. Require little to no effort to make.
Great all year round.
Background: Why is it called Chicken Fried Steak?
Despite of the name, Chicken Fried Steak is not actually chicken. The meat is completely different; one is from poultry, the other is from a cow. However, it is called chicken fried steak because the steak is prepared the same way you would prepare poultry, or chicken, to be fried. The breading is pretty much the same or similar, and it is pan fried or deep fried like you would fry a chicken. The steak can be purchased from any grocery store, and it is the round cut steak.
The steak is coated in seasoned flour, then dipped into an egg mixture, again back into the flour mixture. That’s the simplest way of making chicken fried steak. More advanced cooks calls for butter milk mixture which is also very tasty. The steak is then fried to a golden color on each side. Then is served with gravy and your choice of sides.
ow to make Chicken Fried Steak?
Seasoning and ingredients for the steak
To make this recipe, I have used the following ingredients listed below:
- 2 round beef cube steaks about .55 lbs., or if using the smaller cut, 4 beef eye of round steak; about 1.05 lbs. Lightly season with salt and pepper to taste or 1/2 tsp.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour plus little extra if needed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. minced garlic. Use garlic powder as an alternative
- kosher salt to taste, or 1/2 tsp.
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp. ground all spice
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- oil for frying about 3 tbsp.
Remember, the key to this dish is to make it your own. My recipe is to help you achieve this goal and for you to use it
Ingredients for the gravy
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup creamer
I highly recommend that you make the gravy in the same skillet the steaks were fried in, as all of the delicious flavors is often left at the bottom of the pan. If you are unable to make the gravy in the same skillet due to overcooked seasoning and flour, using a clean saucepan or skillet is the next best option, unless you can clean the same skillet for additional use – which will make cleaning very easy once breakfast or dinner time is over.
How to eat Chicken Fried Steak? Breakfast or Dinner?
You can pair country fried steak with mash cauliflower, corn, greens, or even marinated tomatoes. It is very versatile. In the picture above, the gravy is slightly different as I included better than bouillon to season the gravy. If you are serving it for breakfast, you can pair it with eggs and breakfast potatoes.
When making this dish at home, feel free to experiment and test out your flavors. Add a little cayenne pepper for extra heat :). Also, feel free to adjust the salt level to accordance of your tolerance level.
- When making the gravy, remove some of the oil from the pan if using the same skillet or use 2 tbsp clean oil.
- Whisk in the flour slowly. Let the flour brown slightly before adding the milk and seasoning. Stirring or whisking constantly.
- When adding the milk, slowly whisk in the milk to keep lumps from forming and you will end up with a creamy gravy each time. However, if the gravy is not creamy and smooth, the methods listed below will help you through this process.
- If the gravy seems to be too lumpy, use a strainer to remove the lumps. This will require another saucepan. Using a clean saucepan over the stove burner, place the strainer over the saucepan, then pour the hot gravy in the strainer. And whisk the gravy so it can pass through. Add ½ cup milk to help thin out the gravy.
- Once you are done with the straining. Add the creamer and seasoning if you haven’t done so. Stir and cook on medium-low heat and allow the gravy to thicken. This process should take about 2 minutes. Serve the gravy warm over the chicken fried steak and enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner with your choice of side.
SAVE THIS COUNTRY FRIED STEAK TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARDS!
ALSO, I AM ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES, LET’S CONNECT ON PINTEREST!
How To Make Chicken Fried Steak
The Best Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy
Ingredients needed to make Chicken Fried Steak
- 2 round beef cube steaks; season with salt and pepper to taste or 1/4 tsp. .55 lbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour gluten free flour is fine to use as well
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ground tsp. ginger
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Use garlic powder as an alternative
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- oil for frying
Ingredients to make Chicken Fried Steak Gravy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup creamer
How to Cook Chicken Fried Steak: Cooking Beef Eye of Round Steak
- Beat the egg with water. Set aside.
- Lightly season the meat with salt and pepper (about ½ tsp of kosher salt and black pepper). Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Medium high heat.
- In a separate bowl, add all of the dry seasoning and garlic. Mix well and set aside. See seasoning and ingredients above in the post.
- Coat the meat with the flour seasoning, then dip into the egg mixture, then back again into the flour seasoning mixture. See pictures 1-4 in the post.
- Pan fry the steak per side for 6 minutes well done, or for 3 minutes medium well.
- Repeat the steps until all steaks are cooked.
How to cook the gravy for Chicken Fried Steak
- In a medium sauce pan, or the same skillet if desired. Heat the oil on medium low heat. Then slowly add the four. Whisk immediately to prevent lumps. Then add the milk slowly while whisking.
- Once the gravy starts to smooth add ground mustard, salt and pepper. Continue whisking until all the of ingredients are incorporated.
- Note: if the gravy seem to be too lumpy, use a strainer to remove the lumps. This will require another sauce pan. Using a clean sauce pan over the stove burner. Place the strainer over the sauce pan, then pour the hot gravy in the strainer. And whisk the gravy so it can pass through. Add ½ cup milk to help thin out the gravy.
- Once you are done with the straining. Add the creamer. Stir and cook on medium low heat and allow the gravy to thicken. This process should take about 2 minutes. Serve the gravy warm over the chicken fried steak and enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner with your choice of side.
Tips for best result to make Chicken Fried Steak
- The deep fryer is not needed to fry the steak. Using a skillet or a frying pan is perfect enough to use to cook the steak.
- If using the smaller cut round steak which comes 4 in a package, it’s best to cook 2 at a time. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- I highly recommend that you preheat the oven between 225-250F to keep the steak warm.
- It’s best to cook the steak per side completely without disturbing it or moving it around. Allow it to cook before cooking the other side for best results.