Hi there and welcome to SAVORY THOUGHTS!
We’re AJ & Mirlene. We write, cook, and take pictures of all the foods you will see on this site.
We create delicious Haitian food and dishes we’ve enjoyed from parts of the world.
Cooking always bring love ones together, and in our home aim to do just that. You will never leave with an empty stomach.
QUICK FACTS ABOUT US:
- We are proud parents to 4 beautiful souls, one of which has 4 legs and sheds a lot! We are both avid coffee lovers. There’s never a dull moment in our home.
- We are both food fanatics. Although Mirlene is the pickiest one of the two of us.
- Mirlene loves to collect cookbooks.
- AJ is MUCH more active and athletic. My (Mirlene) version of being athletic is riding my bike with the kids.
- With 3 active kids, we’ve learned to go with the flow.
- Mirlene loves to sing even though I can’t sing and stay on tune for one second.
- Mirlene can’t swim, but AJ and the kids would live in the water if they could.
We’re blessed to have a career which allow us to care for my family. But Mirlene’s passion is being at home in the kitchen, in her “own world” and in her own thoughts.
WHAT YOU WILL FIND ON THIS SITE:
- You’ll find traditional Haitian dishes like this Poulet en Sauce
- Or like this popular Haitian Black Rice.
- You’ll find tips on how to create our childhood dishes in fraction of the time by using the instant pot or air fryer.
You will NOT find any pork related dishes as we do not eat pork. But you will find alternatives like this turkey bacon used in to create this German warm potato recipe.
Our goal is to help you find ways to bring your loved ones around the table. Great conversations always involve food. So why not have these conversations while trying new dishes.
We get our inspirations from restaurants, travels, and from talking to our friends and family. We then take these ideas and bring them to light for you.
Good food should be properly seasoned, bold in flavor and addictive. Our readers tell us that our Haitian seasoning has been used as a seasoning base and as a dip to accompany so many dishes.
Our goal is to make cooking as fuss free as possible for you.
Savory Thoughts has been feedfeed, FOOD52, yummly, Fodista, Chefs Corner, Kitchn, Black Foodie Co, SoulPhoodie, and The Washington Post.