Hi there and welcome to SAVORY THOUGHTS – Home to succulent Haitian recipes!
We’re AJ & Mirlene. We write, cook, and take pictures of all the foods you see on this site.
We create delicious Haitian food recipes and international dishes we’ve enjoyed from other parts of the world.
Cooking brings love ones together, and in our home, we aim to do just that. You will never leave with an empty stomach.
QUICK FACTS ABOUT US:
- We are proud parents to 4 beautiful souls, one of which is a 4 legged small soul living in a huge body and sheds a lot! There’s never a dull moment in our home.
- We are both avid coffee lovers and foodies. Although Mirlene is the pickiest one of the two, AJ, on the other hand, will try anything he gets his hands on. And he loves to EAT!
- Most Haitian recipes incorporate onions, oddly enough, Mirlene does not like to eat onions. AJ finds it amusing to have finally met an Haitian who doesn’t eat an ingredient shared in most of our dishes.
- Mirlene loves to collect cookbooks and come up with different ways of making a dish. Another words, she loves to cook. Mirlene is definitely the crafty one in this setting.
- AJ is MUCH more active and athletic – he loves to hike and being outdoors. Mirlene’s version of being athletic is riding her bike with the kids.
- Mirlene loves to sing even though she can’t sing or stay on tune.
- Mirlene can’t swim, but AJ and the kids would live in the water if they could.
- With 3 active kids and a 90lbs dog, we’ve learned to go with the flow.
- You can say that they compliment each other, since she loves to cook and he enjoys eating.
We have been blessed to have careers that allow us stability and growth. But Mirlene’s dream and passion is to be at home in the kitchen, in her “own world” and to share with you her creativity.
WHAT YOU WILL FIND ON THIS SITE:
- You’ll find traditional Haitian dishes like this Poulet en Sauce
- Or like this popular Haitian Black Rice.
- You’ll find tips on how to create some of our favorite childhood dishes in fraction of the time by using the instant pot or air fryer.
You will NOT find any pork related dishes as we do not eat pork. But you will find alternatives like turkey bacon used in to create this German warm potato recipe.
Our goal is not only to introduce Haitian recipes and other dishes, but to also bring them to your dining table. Of course, in doing so, we are trying to help you find ways to bring your loved ones around the table as well. Great conversations always involve food. So why not have these conversations while trying succulent new dishes.
We get our inspirations from restaurants, travels, and from talking to our friends and family. We then take these ideas and bring them to light for you.
Good food should be properly seasoned, bold in flavor and addictive. Our readers tell us that our Haitian seasoning has been used as a seasoning base and as a dip to accompany various dishes.
Our goal is to make cooking fast, fun and exciting for you.
Savory Thoughts has been feedfeed, FOOD52, yummly, Fodista, Chefs Corner, Kitchn, Black Foodie Co, SoulPhoodie, and The Washington Post.