This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VansFoodsWaffles #vansfoods #CollectiveBias
Sweet, spicy, and savory Air Fryer Firecracker Chicken and Waffles is a fast and easy weeknight or weekend meal.
Ready in 30-minutes or less, this incredibly easy and elegant meal includes well-toasted waffles, then is topped with spinach, air fryer Firecracker Chicken, and a sweetened spicy sauce. Perfect for busy nights and weekends.
This easy dinner recipe is a breeze with this Firecracker Chicken and Waffles recipe! Not to mention, Van’s® Products are Wholesome and deliver foods that you and your family can feel good about eating with no fuss. These waffles are gluten-free waffles and…
- Made with whole grain brown rice flour
- Sweetened with fruit juice
- Light and Crispy
- Contain 21-23g of whole grains per serving
- Free from dairy/egg/artificial anything/cholesterol/corn & are Non-GMO project verified
This meal is also lighter as the chicken is not deep-fried like most chicken and waffle recipes, and is accompanied by sautéed spinach to provide a nutritious side dish option.
This meal will feed a large family, it is designed to nourish the body and provides a hint of Asian flavor. Just a delight in every bite!
What Ingredients Are needed to make Firecracker Chicken
Both Van’s Gluten Free Original Waffles and Van’s Gluten Free Blueberry Waffles are nutritious and delicious. Unlike my crispy party wings and my Jamaican Jerk Wings, these air fryer chicken breasts are completely different.
No “frying” necessary. A completely different take on an easy weeknight meal which is elegantly served, and will have your family coming back for more. Specific measurements and steps are included in the recipe card below. However, to start off, you’ll need the following:
- Van’s Waffles – You may use the original or blueberry waffles. I used both when serving this meal to my family to accommodate their different taste buds.
- Chicken Breasts – I used boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Sweet Chili Sauce – Any sweet chili sauce will work for this recipe.
- Maple Syrup – I used maple syrup because I like the bold flavor it gives the meat. However, you may use brown sugar or honey.
- Soy Sauce – I recommend using a low sodium soy sauce as you will already season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Olive Oil – This will help base the chicken and cook the spinach.
- Garlic – I recommend using fresh garlic to add extra freshness to the meat and also help to cut down the sweetness.
- Red Pepper Flakes – The pepper flakes add extra heat to the sauce. However, you may use cayenne pepper, or you may leave this ingredient off completely if you do not desire to have a spicy sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste – Best to season the meat before air frying it so that the flavors are properly embedded.
- Onions – The onions will help to enhance the flavors in the spinach.
- Bag of Spinach To sauté.
Can you use frozen waffles for chicken and waffles?
I find the Van’s
By using Van’s Waffles, you save time on preparing homemade waffles. Dinner is served in under 30 minutes, and depending on the size of the family, you may have leftover chicken to carry on for the next day or two.
How to Make Juicy Firecracker Chicken and Waffles
- Slice or cut the meat: To ensure even cooking, it’s best the meat is not too thick. I highly recommend slicing the meat in half. For example, 1 thick chicken breast will become two after it is sliced in half.
Another option is to use a meat tenderizer to flatten the chicken to an even thickness.
- Season it: To add more flavor and texture before placing the meat in the air fryer, lightly season the meat with salt and pepper on both sides (pic 1 above). Add the meat to the air fryer, I recommend 4 breasts at a time. And allow the meat to cook (pic 2 above).
- Prepare sides: While the meat is cooking in the air fryer, in a small saucepan add the sauce, soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic, and bring to a low boil (medium-low heat). This process should take about 10 minutes. DO NOT LET IT SPILLOVER. Remove the saucepan from the heat once it has begun to bubble. Set aside (pic 3 above).
- Prepare the spinach: In a small skillet: heat the olive oil, then add the onions, spinach, and salt and pepper to taste over medium heat. Stirring constantly to avoid burning, cook the spinach until wilted or to the desired texture (see pic above).
- Once the chicken is cooked, pour the sauce over the chicken using a spoon and transfer back to the air fryer for a few more minutes.
Remove the chicken from the air fryer and be ready to plate.
Toast the waffles to the desired doneness, topped with sautéed spinach, firecracker chicken, and sauce. Enjoy!
Firecracker Chicken and Waffles Recipe Notes:
- Although I used boneless chicken breast, you can use bone-in chicken breast. I would also recommend skinless chicken breast as you do not want to end up with soggy chicken skin.
Air Fryer Firecracker Chicken And Waffles
- Van's Gluten Free Blueberry Waffles
- 2 lbs. Boneless Chicken Breast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil divided
- 2 cups Sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Diced onions
- 1 bag Spinach
- Season the meat with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Then transfer to air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 15 minutes on 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the syrup, chili sauce, garlic, pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes or until the sauce starts to boil.
- While the sauce cooks, in a small skillet, add the remaining olive out, then add the onions and spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the spinach is wilted or to desired texture. Remove from heat once complete.
- At this point the chicken should be done, or close to being done. Once the 15 minutes has passed for the chicken, remove the basket from the air fryer, spoon the sauce over the chicken (be as generous as you'd like). place the chicken back in the air fryer for 2 more minutes.
- Toast the waffles. Then topped with spinach, the firecracker chicken, and finish with more sauce. Enjoy!