Instant Pot Collard Greens with smoked turkey neck. This delicious southern pressure cooked greens are ready in under 1 hour and is infused with bold flavor.
If you’re ever ready to eat some good ol’ fashioned greens in no time, then this delicious dish is made for you, as it is cooked with a limited amount of seasoning which includes sautéed onions, and vegetable broth to help create delicious southern pressure-cooked collard greens with smoked turkey.
These greens are perfect with this instant pot black eye peas.
These pressure-cooked greens are fresh and delicious, and comes together in under 45 minutes, too!
But if you are pressed for time and would like to slow cook this deliciousness, then feel free to allow the flavors to develop for three hours while you focus on much needed task.
Why does this recipe work?
We get so many questions about how to pressure cook collard greens, so we thought we’d share our go-to method for making these instant pot greens, a few tips, and a couple of our favorite dishes to pair these delicious greens.
First things first, no, if you are unable to purchase fresh collard greens to make these southern greens, that’s fine. The bagged collard greens will work just as well.
Here are a few more reasons why this recipe works.
- No longer need to take hours to cook.
- It’s the perfect southern greens to accompany turkey and mac and cheese.
- It is incredibly easy to make, making it the perfect side dish for weeknight meals.
- No need to trim or cut the greens.
- This is the perfect soul food side dish as it is made with smoked turkey neck recipe
How to make instant pot collard greens?
As stated, only 45 minutes is needed to make these greens from start to finish. Here’s how to make it:
First, gather your ingredients. This recipe calls for a full bag of collard greens. I sometimes have bags of greens in the freezer. So, frozen bags of greens are just fine.
Next, you’ll want to Sauté the onions in the instant pot. Caramelizing for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Next, add the turkey neck. Then add the broth, collard greens, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pressure cook on high for 45 minutes.
Remove the turkey neck and shred the meat.
Place the greens in a large bowl and enjoy.
There are so many ways to cook collard greens. However, with this recipe there’s no need to wait for hours to cook up something so delicious to serve to your family for weeknight dinner, or large gatherings.
Cook’s Pro Tips
- You can always substitute the smoked turkey neck for the ham hock.
- You can make collard greens taste good and vegan in the pressure cooker by simply removing the meat.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings when you’re ready to eat if needed.
- This recipe also works if you prefer to slow cook the collard greens in the instant pot. Simply add all of the ingredients and slow cook for 3 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
You can enjoy this southern greens with Haitian black rice, black eye peas, hopin’ John, or with these instant pot cornbread.
To enhance the flavor, consider adding smoked turkey neck, smoked turkey wings, or smoked turkey legs. Shred the meat when completely cooked and mix well with the meat.
Yes. This dish is highly adaptable. If you do not want to add meat, that’s perfectly fine, continue with the remaining ingredients and omit the meat.
Favorite Instant Pot Dishes
If you love this pressure-cooked collard greens recipe, try one of these other instant pot dishes next:
- Haitian Lalo (Jute Leaves Stew Recipe)
- Braised oxtail stew
- Haitian Legume recipe
- Instant Pot Cabbage Soup recipe
- Instant Pot Cabbage
- Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
- Mashed Cauliflower Instant Pot Recipe
- Low Country Shimp Boil
Instant Pot Collard Greens
- 1 smoked turkey neck
- 1 bag collard greens
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth Water is also fine.
- ½ cup chopped onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp better than bouillon or Haitian Epis
- Gather the ingredients. Press sauté. Adjust the timer to 5 minutes. Cook onions for 3 minutes.
- Add half of the greens, turkey neck, and the remaining half of the greens. Add the broth, click on manual, and pressure cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Remove the neck bone and shred. Add the meat back to the greens. Adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve warm and enjoy.