There are so many varieties of braised oxtail recipes and it seems like everybody has their own version. BUT, prepare to fall in love with my Instant Pot Braised Oxtail Stew Recipe!
Although oxtail stew can get overwhelming to make, but try not to worry as this easy braised oxtail recipe will become your favorite recipe.
This tender, fall-off-the-bone chunks of oxtail, beans, and carrots are all cooked together in a deliciously seasoned sauce in the Instant Pot.
There’s nothing better than a comforting hearty stew, tomato soup, or squash soup –
Why does this recipe work?
This classic Haitian stew recipe never goes out of style. It has everything you could ever ask for in a red meat stew throughout the year.
Just like my other Instant Pot Recipes, you do not need anything fancy to make this Haitian-style Oxtail Stew.
This recipe, however, works for both a slow cooker dish and a pressure cooker dish. With that being said, all you really need are a few ingredients to have dinner on the table in no time.
Where does oxtail meat come from?
Although oxtail is prepared in various ways, the culinary name for this delicious meat refers to as the tail of the cattle.
Typically, oxtail weighs 7 to 8 lbs. and cut into short lengths for sale.
In a nutshell, oxtail is the tail of a cow. The tail is also skinned and contain a small amount of bone marrow depending on the size that’s cut.
Ingredients To Make This Dish
Oxtail is available at almost all major super markets and international markets.
Like all good traditional beef stews, this stew is made with onion, carrots, celery, garlic, beef broth, browning, tomato paste, herbs, and, of course, oxtail to name a few.
This instant pot oxtail stew recipe is the perfect Sunday meal to make for your loved ones. To be truthfully honest, just like lamb, we do not eat it often as oxtail can be pricy.
However, It is beyond delicious and pairs well with low carb recipes, such as this cauliflower mash potatoes.
How To Make Oxtail Recipe Instant Pot
The full recipe and ingredients are listed below. But here is a quick guide on how to make this recipe perfectly every time.
Wash and pat dry the meat. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, ground cloves, premium glaze or browning and mix well.
Pour the mixture over the meat and let marinate for 30 minutes (or longer).
On the instant pot, click on Sauté and set the timer to 30 minutes. Add and heat the oil.
Sear the oxtail on all sides. Reserve the marinating mixture.
Once the oxtail is seared on all sides. Remove it and place the meat on a plate.
Click on cancel then sauté again, and set the timer for another 30 minutes. Add the vegetables: onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, then add the meat. Stir. Then add the beans.
Add broth and reserved marinade. Cover.
Turn the knob to sealing. Cook on pressure high for 45 minutes.
A hearty, melt-in-your-mouth, flavorful instant pot oxtail stew recipe.
Braised Oxtail Stew Recipe Pro Notes
- If you are able to purchase the oxtail from an international market, ask them for the entire tail. It is most likely will be the exact price as the ones that’s already chopped. Plus, you get more meat. Also, be sure to ask the butcher to chop it up for you as well.
- If you want to add a little heat, add 2 tbsp. Ti Malice hot sauce or red pepper flakes before cooking the meat for 45 minutes.
- The meat will shrink slightly when it’s cooked, be sure to get bigger precut chunks this will help the stew to come together really easy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ):
First, sear the meat on all sides. Then add the vegetables, seasoning, broth, and cook for 45 minutes.
Absolutely. You would wash this meat just like you wash any other meat. Haitians have specific ways to wash meat, I have explained our methods here this Haitian chicken stew recipe.
If cooking oxtails over the stove, it will take 2 to 3 hours for the meat to cook completely and become tender. In the instant pot, it will take 45 minutes.
Haitian Food Serving Suggestions
This easy recipe pairs well with any dishes from around the world. But more if you want to serve it with some of your favorite Haitian food recipes, we have a few suggestions below:
More Amazing Instant Pot Recipes
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Instant Pot Braised Oxtail Stew Recipe
- 2 lbs. Oxtail
- 1 15 oz. can Great Northern Beans
- 2 large Carrots sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 Green Onions sliced
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onions chopped
- 1 cup Beef broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. Ground Clove
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. 100% Premium Glaze or Rosemary
- 2 Celery Stalks, sliced
- 2 Shallots Chopped
- 1 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- ½ Cup Water
- ¼ Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Ginger or fresh
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- in a small bowl combine the cornstarch and ½ cup water. Mix well and set aside. Wash and pat dry the meat. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper, ground cloves, premium glaze or browning, and mix well. Pour the mixture over the meat and let marinate for 30 minutes (or longer). On the instant pot, click on Sauté and set timer to 15 minutes. Add and heat the oil.Sear the oxtail on all sides. Reserve the marinating mixture. Once the oxtail is seared on all sides, remove it and place the meat on a plate.
- Click on cancel then click on sauté again, and set the timer for another 30 minutes. Add the vegetables and herbs. Cook for 5 minutes. Stirring constantly. Add the tomato paste, then add the meat. Stir. Then add the beans.
- Add broth, reserved marinade, ginger powder or juice, and the cornstarch mixture. Cover. Turn the knob to sealing. Cook on pressure high for 45 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!