Warm, hearty, Instant Pot Cabbage Soup recipe that’s extremely delicious and easy to make at home. This instant pot cabbage roll soup is a perfect weeknight meal and is packed with flavor, and taste even better the next day!
When it comes to making this cabbage soup, here are a few things to consider:
Taste matters! A warm delicious soup is not the same if the taste do not make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Using raw vegetable ingredients is key when preparing soups. You may use broths if you prefer; however, we like to keep it simple by using water. If your soup is bland, it’s okay to add your preferred seasoning to satisfy your taste buds!
A little heat goes a long way! Customizing your soup brings in personality to the dish. Adding spice can sometime kick it up a notch but can also knock it down if too much is added. Spice up your soup by working in small batches. Try sticking to ¼ teaspoon of pepper and gradually work your way up.
Why does this Instant Pot Cabbage Soup Works?
If you are craving something comforting, quick, and fuss-free but healthy, then this is the soup to make. This cabbage roll soup has the perfect balance of vegetables, meat, and flavors. It is mildly sweet because of the carrots but yet savory.
This soup has been resurfaced a few times in our home this past month alone. The number one reason why it has made its way in our home so much besides from the amazing taste, it comes together in just over 30 minutes. Other reasons why we love this soup and why we think you will too are:
- Adding cabbage in soups recipes is very inexpensive, plus it is
onemy favorite ways to enjoy cabbage.
- This soup has a pleasing aroma.
- It is perfect for frigid winter nights. It is comforting. Full of bursting flavors.
- Easy to create in one pot or slow cooker.
- Great for meal prep. Cabbage is quick and easy to incorporate in any savory dish or serve as a side dish.
- Perfect cabbage soup for weight loss because it’s low calorie and low carb.
- reat for a rainy day.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised to see how this nourishing instant pot cabbage soup comes together.
When it comes to this soup, it’s all about the aromatic ingredients. The full ingredient list and directions are listed below in the recipe card. For now, you’ll need the following ingredients below:
- Cabbage Head. A whole cabbage head is best. Precut or pre-shredded cabbage may disappear in the broth, as it will become too soft to hold its texture while the soup cooks.
- Yellow onions, herbs, and garlic. The onions help make this instant pot cabbage soup recipe light and fresh!
- Tomato. This helps to provide beautiful red color.
- Better than bouillon vegetable paste, browning, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. If you do not want to use water, you can use beef broth or vegetable broth in this recipe.
How To Make The Soup
Vegetables. Start by prepping your vegetables. Either dice, slice, chop, or mince the vegetables and set them aside in a bowl.
- Add celery, onion, and garlic in the instant pot to sauté.
Add the carrots and beans.
Add the cabbage, herbs, and seasoning.
Add the tomato paste, water and tomato sauce. Cook for 15 minutes.
Once it is done, quick release and serve warm and enjoy.
There are more ways to prepare and enjoy this soup. Aside from cooking it in the instant pot, you can either slow cook this soup or prepare it over the stove.
Slow Cooker Option
Start by lightly sautéing the onions, garlic, and celery in a skillet. Once the vegetables are soften, transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
Topped with all of the remaining ingredients. Stir. Set the cooker on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours. You will slowly notice the aroma in your home, this is an indication the soup is ready to be enjoyed.
When preparing this soup over the stove, this cabbage soup makes a wonderful one pot dish.
Using a large saucepan, sauté the onions, garlic, and celery. Then topped with all of the remaining ingredients. Stir.
Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Remove from
How long the cabbage soup last?
Cabbage soup will last for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. I recommend placing the soup in an airtight container and reheat as needed throughout the week.
How do you freeze the soup?
Cabbage is tricky. We never recommend freezing cabbage while it still hot as it will maintain all of the moisture, and can be very unpleasant to thaw out.
Allow the soup to cool completely. Once the soup is cooled, transfer the soup to a freezer safe container and freezer for a couple months.
When the soup is ready to be reheated, allow it to thaw out then reheat the soup over the stove on medium
Cook’s Pro Tip
- Should I use meat? Using meat is completely optional.
- Can I add chicken? Yes. You can add almost any meat you want to the soup. Shredded chicken works well with this recipe.
- Can I add more veggies to the cabbage soup? Absolutely. You are not limited to the
amountof vegetables you can add. The more the better. If you are adding spinach, wait until the last 2 minutes to add the spinach as you do not want it to shrink too much.
- Which broth is best to use? You can use any broth: chicken, beef, vegetable; all are great options.
- Why add celery to the cabbage soup? Celery and carrots work well together. Plus the celery will help flavor the dish even more and provide an earthy flavor.
- Can I use dry herbs
? Usewhat you have on hand. I have made this soup with dried herbs and fresh herbs. You really will not notice the difference.
- Can I use pre-shredded cabbage
? Ifyou are using shredded cabbage, I recommend making it over the stove instead as you do not want the cabbage to overcook.
- Can I use frozen vegetables
? Yes, absolutely. You can use frozen or fresh vegetables. Whatever you have on hand is perfectly fine with this soup. The frozen vegetable also works well if you are making this soup in the slow cooker.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
This cabbage soup recipe is customizable to suit your diet needs. Adding vegetables help maintain a healthy diet.
In the instant pot, there is a line that marked with “max”. Do not pass the line as the liquid will overflow while cooking. Follow the recipe exactly so you can make it perfectly each time.
Yes, you can cook canned vegetables in the instant pot. However, for best results, try sticking to fresh vegetables.
If you loved this Instant Pot Cabbage Soup recipe, try our creamy butternut squash soup, this Jamaican Steam Cabbage Recipe, and this Instant Pot Cabbage Recipe. You should also try one of these Instant Pot dishes below:
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped or diced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped or minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cabbage head chopped and outer layers removed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt or to taste
- ½ tsp. black pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- 4 ½ cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. better than bouillon vegetable paste
- 3 bay leaves
- Chop, slice, or diced the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Set aside. Then cut the cabbage in wedges. On the instant pot, click on sautee and set the timer for 15 mintues. Add the oil. Cook the onions, celery, and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and carrots. Stir. Then add the beans, tomato sauce and paste, cabbage, salt and pepper, better than bouillon paste, and bay leaves, parsley, and water.
- Turn the knob to sealing and pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Quick release and serve warm.