Warm, hearty, Instant Pot Cabbage Soup recipe that’s extremely delicious and easy to make at home. Simple enough for a perfect weeknight meal, and delicious enough to have on repeat as this soup is packed with flavor.
When it comes to making this instant pot cabbage soup, here are a few things to consider:
Taste matters! A warm delicious soup is not the same if the taste does not make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Using raw vegetable ingredients is key when preparing soups. You may use broths if you prefer; however, we like to keep it simple by using water.
A little heat goes a long way! Customizing your soup brings personality to the dish.
Adding spice can sometimes kick it up a notch but can also knock it down if too much is added. Spice up your soup by working in small batches.
Try sticking to ¼ teaspoon of pepper and gradually work your way up if being too spicy is a concern.
Why does this Instant Pot Cabbage Soup Works?
If you are craving something comforting, quick, and fuss-free but healthy, then this is the soup to make.
This instant pot cabbage soup has the perfect balance of vegetables. Meat can be added if desired. It is mildly sweet because of the carrots but yet savory.
This soup has been resurfaced a few times in our home this past month alone. The number one reason why it has made its way into our home so much besides the amazing taste, it comes together in just over 30 minutes.
Other reasons why we love this soup and why we think you will too are:
- Adding cabbage to soups recipes is very inexpensive, plus it is one of my favorite ways to enjoy cabbage.
- This soup has a pleasing aroma.
- It is perfect for frigid winter nights. It is comforting. Full of bursting flavors.
- Easy to create in one pot or slow cooker.
- Great for meal prep. Cabbage is quick and easy to incorporate in any savory dish or serve as a side dish.
- Perfect cabbage soup for weight loss because it’s low calorie and low carb.
- Great for a rainy day.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised to see how this nourishing instant pot cabbage soup comes together.
Key Ingredients To Make This Soup
When it comes to this soup, it’s all about the aromatic ingredients. The full ingredient list and directions are listed below in the recipe card.
For now, you’ll need the following ingredients below:
- Cabbage Head. A whole cabbage head is best. Precut or pre-shredded cabbage may disappear in the broth, as it will become too soft to hold its texture while the soup cooks.
- Yellow onions, herbs, and garlic. The onions help make this instant pot cabbage soup recipe light and fresh!
- Tomato. This helps to provide beautiful red color.
- Vegetable Paste or Boullon, browning (optional), bay leaves, salt, and pepper. If you do not want to use water, you can use beef broth or vegetable broth in this recipe.
How To Make The Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
Vegetables. Start by prepping your vegetables. Either dice, slice, chop, or mince the vegetables and set them aside in a bowl.
- Add celery, onion, and garlic in the instant pot to sauté.
Add the carrots and beans.
Add the cabbage, herbs, and seasoning.
Add the tomato paste, broth or water, and tomato sauce. Cook for 15 minutes.
Once it is done, quickly release and serve warm and enjoy.
There are more ways to prepare and enjoy this soup. Aside from cooking it in the instant pot, you can either slow-cook this soup or prepare it over the stove.
Slow Cooker Option
Start by lightly sautéing the onions, garlic, and celery in a skillet. Once the vegetables are softened, transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
Topped with all of the remaining ingredients. Stir. Set the cooker on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
You will slowly notice the aroma in your home, this is an indication the soup is ready to be enjoyed.
Stovetop Cabbage Soup Option
When preparing this soup over the stove, this cabbage soup makes a wonderful one-pot dish.
Using a large saucepan, sauté the onions, garlic, and celery. Then topped with all of the remaining ingredients. Stir. Cover halfway with a lid.
Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Remove from stove. Serve warm and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cabbage soup will last for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. I recommend placing the soup in an airtight container and reheat as needed throughout the week.
Cabbage is tricky. We never recommend freezing cabbage while it is still hot as it will maintain all of the moisture, and can be very unpleasant to thaw out.
Allow the soup to cool completely. Once the soup is cooled, transfer the soup to a freezer-safe container and freezer for a couple of months.
When the soup is ready to be reheated, allow it to thaw out then reheat the soup over the stove on medium-low heat.
This cabbage soup recipe is customizable to suit your diet needs. Adding vegetables helps maintain a healthy diet.
In the instant pot, there is a line marked with “max”. Do not pass the line as the liquid will overflow while cooking. Follow the recipe exactly so you can make it perfectly each time.
Cook’s Pro Tip
- Should I use meat? Using meat is completely optional.
- Can I add chicken? Yes. You can add almost any meat you want to the soup. Shredded chicken works well with this recipe.
- Can I add more veggies to the cabbage soup? Absolutely. You are not limited to the amount of vegetables you can add. The more the better. If you are adding spinach, wait until the last 2 minutes to add the spinach as you do not want it to shrink too much.
- Which broth is best to use? You can use any broth: chicken, beef, or vegetable; all are great options.
- Why add celery to the cabbage soup? Celery and carrots work well together. Plus the celery will help flavor the dish even more and provide an earthy flavor.
- Can I use dry herbs? Use what you have on hand. I have made this soup with dried herbs and fresh herbs. You really will not notice the difference.
- Can I use pre-shredded cabbage? If you are using shredded cabbage, I recommend making it over the stove instead as you do not want the cabbage to overcook.
- Can I use frozen vegetables? Yes, absolutely. You can use frozen or fresh vegetables. Whatever you have on hand is perfectly fine with this soup. The frozen vegetable also works well if you are making this soup in the slow cooker.
If you loved this Instant Pot Cabbage Soup recipe, try our creamy butternut squash soup, this Jamaican Steam Cabbage Recipe, and this Instant Pot Cabbage Recipe. You should also try one of these Instant Pot dishes below:
It warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially love to know if you tried this recipe.
Also, we appreciate it if could give it a star rating below!
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 1 small cabbage head; chopped and outer layers removed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion; chopped or diced
- 2 celery stalks; chopped
- 4 cloves garlic; chopped
- 3 large carrots; peeled and finely sliced
- 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp. kosher salt; or to taste
- ½ tsp. black pepper; or to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- 4 cups water; or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. vegetable bouillon
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Chop, slice, or diced the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Set aside. Then cut the cabbage in wedges. On the instant pot, click on sautee and set the timer for 15 mintues. Add the oil. Cook the onions, celery, and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and carrots. Stir. Then add the beans, tomato sauce, and tomato paste, cabbage, salt and pepper, bouillon paste, and bay leaves, parsley, cumin, thyme, and water or broth.
- Turn the knob to sealing and pressure cook on high for 20 minutes. Quick release and serve warm.