Curry goat is a Jamaican classic that is a staple of Caribbean cuisine. This Jamaican inspired curry goat a one pot (instant pot) recipe with an exciting blend of spices, combined with tasty, tender meat that packs in flavor with every bite.
Curry goat is a great choice for those just starting to explore Jamaican food, Haitian Foods, or curry foods, with barely any prep time and no special skills required.
Try it out for yourself and you’ll soon see why it’s the culinary icon in the islands!
Though it is not so commonplace in America or Europe, goat is one of the most widely consumed meats in the world. Tastewise, it is similar to beef, and when slow-cooked it has the most beautiful, tender texture.
While goat has become a bit more easy to find, you may still need to do a little searching to get your hands on this tasty meat.
Your best bet is to head to an international market or a Mexican or Latin American butcher. If you can’t find any goat, you can always substitute it for beef or even lamb with delicious results.
The spices are what really make this Instant Pot Jamaican inspired Curry Goat dish sing, with bold and vibrant flavors that work beautifully together.
Curry powder normally takes center stage, but in this recipe we are also adding turmeric to the center stage in this aromatic blend. And the meat is cooked in with all the spices so it gets infused with all that delicious flavor.
Naturally, the recipe has a fair amount of heat thanks to the addition of red pepper or cayenne pepper, but if you’re cooking for children or aren’t too keen on spicy food feel free to dial it back.
The other herbs and spices in the dish give it all the flavor it needs, even without the heat.
How can I thicken up my Instant Pot Curry Goat?
If the dish is looking a little too thin for your liking there are a couple of things you can do to help thicken it up.
You can create a slurry by mixing a tablespoon of water with a tablespoon of cornstarch and add it to your pot while the curry is boiling.
You can do something similar with arrowroot, which you can add directly into your curry for a thickening effect, adding it in small amounts until you reach the right consistency.
What should I serve with Jamaican Inspired Curry Goat?
Roti, a kind of flatbread, is another typical accompaniment, and is great for mopping up all that tasty sauce.
Alternatively, plain white rice will do just fine and makes for an easy, no-fuss option that everyone will enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The curry goat will take about 45 minutes to cook in the instant pot.
You can curry goat or any meat with turmeric or with store-bought curry powder.
You can thicken curry goat by creating a slurry by mixing a tablespoon of water with a tablespoon of cornstarch.
FAVORITE INSTANT POT RECIPES
If you love this instant pot curry goat recipe, try one of these other instant pot dishes next:
- Haitian Lalo
- Haitian Legume recipe
- Instant Pot Cabbage Soup recipe
- Instant Pot Cabbage
- Mashed Cauliflower Instant Pot Recipe
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Instant Pot Curry Goat Recipe
- 6 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ Cup Water To mix the cornstarch
- 4 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 3 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 3 Lbs. Goat Meat Washed well and pat dry
- 3 Large Carrots Cut diagonally
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Jamaican Curry Powder
- 2 tablespoon Turmeric
- 2 tablespoon Allspice
- 4 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 1 Fresh Rosemary Sprig
- 2 ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Cups Water
- In a small bowl. Mix togther the cornstarch and ½ water. Set aside. In the instant pot heat the oil by pressing sauté and setting the timer to 30 minutes. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Then add the tomato paste. Stir. Then add in the meat. Stir to coat. Add 1 cup water to prevent a burn signal. Then add in the carrots, lemon pepper, curry powder and turmeric, allspice, herbs, salt, and the remaining 1 cup water. Stir to mix well.
- Cover the instant pot with the lid. Turn the knob to sealing. Press cancel. Then press pressure cook. Cook on high for 50 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy with rice.