This Haitian chicken kale stew with Okra is a rich family recipe that combines sliced carrots, fresh herbs, and encompasses bold Haitian flavors for a hearty stew!
Haitian inspired spices add a tasty twist to the okra, chicken, and kale stew. Deliciously comforting, this meal can be prepared in one pot.
Aside from being absolutely delicious, this chicken kale stew recipe is a relatively healthy and hearty meal!
It’s a simple recipe, but it packs a big flavor punch just as our Poulet En Sauce (Haitian Chicken Stew recipe).
It is an excellent meal for those unsure about okra due to its slimy appearance.
Okra is one of my favorite vegetables in any form. From air fryer fried okra, to adding it in soups or gumbo, there are ways to get rid of the sliminess.
It would be unfair to say that this Kale Stew With Okra And Chicken isn’t one of the best combinations because we’re such an okra fan.
In addition to its versatility and exciting qualities, okra is also packed with nutrients. Often regarded as an unusual vegetable, okra is an integral ingredient in exquisite cuisine in other countries.
Okra contains lectin, which is helpful in preventing and treating cancer. Moreover, okra lowers the risk of neural tube defects among pregnant women by supplying them with folate.
Almost all parts of the okra plant are used medicinally. Medicinal uses for okra include seeds, peels, and water. Powdered seeds, peels, and water are among the most well-known.
As well as aiding weight loss, okra suppresses your appetite and makes you feel fuller faster.
Furthermore, since okra has a natural calming effect, it can also enhance sleep quality, enabling you to fall asleep faster and sleep longer. Adding okra to your diet is a great way to stay healthy and fit.
Chicken Stew With Crispy Skin
Having crispy skin chicken in stew is very common. In fact, it helps to retain the natural juices of the meat, keeping the meat moist and tender during the simmering process.
It acts as a protective layer to the meat; but, slow releases the juicy flavor that’s embedded in the meat as you take each bite.
Among the many nutrients found in Okra are vitamins B and C, calcium, as well as other essential vitamins and minerals.
The okra vegetable has a low-calorie count and a high fiber content. Okra has countless hidden health benefits as a result.
Okra contains antioxidants that are helpful in reducing inflammation and improving general health. Heart disease can also be reduced with okra, which lowers cholesterol levels.
Which Chicken Pieces To Use
To make this sauce chicken stale stew, you can use chicken legs, thighs, and wings. Chicken breast cooks faster and can become dry if cook for a long period.
How To Make The Kale Stew?
The full list of ingredients is listed in the recipe card below. Here’s a quick guide on how to make this chicken kale stew with okra.
Start by properly cleaning the chicken. Set the chicken aside and pat it dry. Season the chicken with salt, ground cloves, onion powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and let marinate for least 30 minutes (longer is best).
When ready to cook, sear the meat on both sides for about 4 minutes per side on high heat. Remove the chicken and set it aside.
In a large saucepan, add the oil and cook the okra for 30 minutes. Be sure to constantly stir to avoid burning and as the okra softens, take your spoon to smash the okra. After 30 minutes, add the fresh kale. Mix well, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken, broth, and remaining ingredients. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes on medium low heat, partly covered. Then mix the potato starch and water together to make slurry. Pour the slurry in and stir well to combine.
Simmer for an additional 5 minutes and enjoy. Serve with white rice and fried plantains.
How To Store Your Stew
Any leftover stew can be stored in an airtight container. You can store leftover Kale Stew with Okra And Chicken in the refrigerator for over three days.
Nevertheless, the stew must not be refrigerated any longer to preserve its original flavor
This recipe is perfect with red beans and rice, homemade gluten free biscuits, gluten free drop biscuits, dill rice, and Ghanaian Jollof Rice.
More Stews To Enjoy
After trying this Chicken Kale Stew recipe with okra, we recommend you try this kale salad and try one of these recipes next.
It warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially would love to know if you tried this recipe.
Tag us on Instagram or Facebook so we can see your beautiful dish.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Chicken Kale Stew
- 1 Saucepan
- 8 Chicken Thighs; Boneless is fine.
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- ⅛ tsp. Ground Cloves
- 2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 lb. Frozen Okra
- 1 lb. Fresh Chopped Kale; Washed and stems removed
- 3 Large Carrots; Peeled, washed and sliced
- 4 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Ginger Paste
- 2 Lbs. Beef Broth or Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Bunch Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- ⅛ Tsp. Ground Cloves
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Juice from 1 Lemon
Potato Starch Slurry
- 1 Tbsp. Potato Starch; Or you can use cornstarch
- ¼ Cup Water
- Start by properly cleaning the chicken. Set the chicken aside and pat it dry. Season the chicken with salt, ground cloves, onion powder, oil, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and let marinate for least 30 minutes (longer is best).When ready to cook, add the oil in a large saucepan and sear the meat on both sides for about 4 minutes per side on high heat. Remove the chicken and set it aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the okra and cook for 30 minutes. Be sure to constantly stir to avoid burning. As the okra softens, take your spoon to smash the okra. After 30 minutes, add the fresh kale. Mix well, cover, and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Add the chicken, broth, and remaining ingredients. Light stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 25 minutes on medium low heat, partly covered. Stir constant to avoid sticking at the bottom of the saucepan. In the last 5 minutes while the stew is simmering, mix the potato starch and water together to make slurry. Pour the slurry in the stew and stir well to combine. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes to thicken the stew and enjoy. Serve with white rice and fried plantains.
Tina Marie Allen
Can you use frozen kalw?
Yes, you can use frozen Kale.
Delicious comfort food that’s great for chilly nights!
Thank you, Michelle!
This stew looks absolutely incredible, so hearty and perfect for chilly nights. And great flavors too! Can’t wait to try it, thanks for the recipe!
So cozy and delicious! Perfect for the colder months.
This is such a hearty and satisfying stew!! Love all the veggies in it too!
This chicken kale stew is lovely and feels like a warm hug. Love the added veggies too