Crispy Air Fryer Fried Okra recipe that’s easy to make and fried to a golden crispy texture. A healthier alternative to the traditional deep-fried version. One of the best okra recipes you would want to make.
Savory Thoughts: Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. – Arthur Ashe
You can find fresh okra all year round in the grocery store. They come in fresh packages or frozen. I buy either kind depending on the recipe or dish I am making. I keep frozen packages on hand for healthier bites, as they are quick and easy to make in the air fryer.
Okra is best fresh. I find that when used in a stew, for example, the flavor comes out a lot more with fresh okra as opposed to frozen okra.
What does air fryer okra taste like?
If you have never had okra before, it is natural to wonder about the taste. Okra is often compared to eggplants. It absorbs any flavor; but has a silky, slimy texture when cut open and or touches the tongue. It is best served in a stew with rice or fried.
How do you fry frozen breaded okra in the air fryer?
The seasoning to make air fryer frozen okra is very simple: you will need the following ingredients below to make the batter to fry the okra.
1. 1 cup okra (frozen or fresh; if using fresh, cut into
2. 1 egg
3. 2 tbsp water
4. Cooking oil spray
5. Plain bread crumbs or
6. 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
7. 2 tbsp. parsley, fresh and finely chopped (dried parsley will work as well)
8. 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
10. ½ tsp. kosher salt
11. ½ tsp. ground black pepper
Air fried okra bites: Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
How do you thaw frozen okra?
You can thaw okra by washing them in warm water. You can also reheat them in the microwave for a few minutes, or let them defrost in a skillet over medium heat.
ALSO, I AM ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES, LET’S CONNECT ON PINTEREST!
How to make fried okra Air Fryer
Crispy Air Fryer Fried Okra Recipe
- 1 cup okra frozen or fresh; if using fresh, cut into the desired size
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 1/4 Cup Plain bread crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs will work fine as well. add more if needed
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. parsley fresh and finely chopped (dried parsley will work as well)
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Beat eggs and water. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add garlic and dried herbs including salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
- Add the okra to the egg mixture, then to the breading mixture.
- Place the breaded okra in the air fryer basket, lightly spray with cooking okay, then cook for 10 minutes on 380 degrees, or until desired crispiness is reached.
- Serve warm and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Fried Okra Recipe Notes:
- Is fried okra slimy? Yes, it can be slimy as frozen okra do not release liquid when fried. Yet, you may find slimy texture liquid from fresh okra in high heat, usually in a stew.
- How do you thaw okra? If you have never had okra before, it is natural to wonder about the taste. Okra is often compared to eggplants. It absorbs any flavor; but has a silky, slimy texture when cut open and or touches the tongue. It is best served in a stew or fried.