Crispy Air Fryer Fried Okra recipe that’s easy to make and fried to a golden crispy texture. A healthier alternative to the traditional deep-fried version. One of the best okra recipes you would want to make.
You can find fresh okra all year round in the grocery store. They come in fresh packages or frozen. I buy either kind depending on the recipe or dish I am making. I keep frozen packages on hand for healthier bites, as they are quick and easy to make in the air fryer.
Okra is best fresh. I find that when used in a stew, for example, the flavor comes out a lot more with fresh okra as opposed to frozen okra.
What does air fryer okra taste like?
If you have never had okra before, it is natural to wonder about the taste. Okra is often compared to eggplants. It absorbs any flavor; but has a silky, slimy texture when cut open and or touches the tongue. It is best served in a stew with rice or fried.
How do you fry frozen breaded okra in the air fryer?
The seasoning to make air fryer frozen okra is very simple: you will need the following ingredients below to make the batter to fry the okra.
1. 1 cup okra (frozen or fresh; if using fresh, cut into
2. 1 egg
3. 2 tablespoon water
4. Cooking oil spray
5. Plain bread crumbs or
6. 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
7. 2 tbsp. parsley, fresh and finely chopped (dried parsley will work as well)
8. 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
10. ½ tsp. kosher salt
11. ½ tsp. ground black pepper
Air fried okra bites: Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
How do you thaw frozen okra?
You can thaw okra by rinsing them under warm water. You can also reheat them in the microwave for a few minutes, or let them defrost in a skillet over medium heat.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Place the okra in the air fryer basket. Cook for 10 minutes at 380 degrees.
Your okra may be soggy if it has too much water in them. Frying them will also cut down on the slime.
There’s no need to rinse frozen breaded okra under water. Just allow them to thaw in the fridge then transfer the okra to the hot oil. Cook for 5-7 minutes in hot oil or up to 10 minutes in the air fryer.
It takes about 3-5 minutes to fry frozen okra in the air fryer.
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
More Okra Recipes To Try
If you loved this air fryer okra recipe, I recommend trying the okra rice next.
Crispy Air Fryer Fried Okra Recipe
- 1 cup okra frozen or fresh; if using fresh, cut into the desired size
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon water
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 ¼ Cup Plain bread crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs will work fine as well. add more if needed
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. parsley fresh and finely chopped (dried parsley will work as well)
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Beat eggs and water. Set aside. In a separate bowl, add garlic and dried herbs including salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
- Add the okra to the egg mixture, then to the breading mixture. Place the breaded okra in the air fryer basket, lightly spray with cooking oil, then cook for 10 minutes on 380 degrees, or until desired crispiness is reached.
- Serve warm and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.