Jus De Citron – A trip to Haiti would be nice right now, but this refreshing Haitian Lemonade will put you in the Caribbean mood right in your own home.
Below in the recipe card is a complete list of talented black food bloggers who also has gathered to participate in this Juneteenth cookout. Enjoy all of the delicious dishes!
I’m participating in the 2020 Juneteenth Cookout Takeover. This initiative was established to encourage the celebration of Juneteenth – a jubilee of freedom to commemorate the end of slavery – and to amplify the food traditions of black culinary creatives.
Juneteenth (a merge of the words/date June Nineteenth) marks the date in 1865 that the last enslaved people learned of their freedom. And for over 150 years since, Black American families, home-cooks, chefs, and culinarians have commemorated the summer holiday with a wide range of food traditions that tell a story of the perseverance of a people.
Haitian Lemonade is a delightful twist to our classic homemade lemonade recipes found here in the states. Infused with vanilla extract, this fragrant drink can be served elegantly at a dinner party, special occasion, and is perfect to enjoy on a warm day throughout summer or all year around.
The handcrafted drink is easy to make for guests and or to enjoy with fried plantains.
This jus de citron drink combines a variety of flavors into one which is nicely balanced with sweet, hint of salt to balance out the sweetness, and slightly tart all at once.
It is especially refreshing when the weather is warm and the glass is loaded with ice.
Typically, the lemons are hand squeezed. But to save time I recommend using a lemon squeezer.
What Makes This Jus De Citron Different
- This recipe only takes 6 ingredients and a few minutes to make.
- The vanilla extract gives this lemonade a refreshing fragrant.
- The sugar and salt combination provides a generous balance.
- It is especially delicious if mint is added in the glass which also further compliment the vanilla extract.
There’s just a handful ingredients in this Haitian lemonade recipe and it’s super easy to make. The full step-by-step instruction are found in the recipe card below.
Here, you’ll find the photo guide as well as the list of ingredients what you’ll need to make this lemonade:
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Always use freshly squeezed lemons. This will provide with you the freshest flavor.
- Sugar: Alternatively, you can use honey to make it a “slightly healthy-ish”.
- Salt: This helps to balance out the sugar.
- Vanilla Extract: Although vanilla extract is commonly used in baking cookies and cakes, but when used with lemon, like in this Haitian lemonade recipe, the vanilla extract will help to bring out the bitter/tart acidic flavor.
- Water: You’ll need the water to dilute the extra fresh flavor from the lemon. Plus, this help you make the drink in abundance.
- Ice: Can’t forget the ice! It’s needed to chill the lemonade for that uber refreshing sip and it will also help balance the sugar intake as it will help water down the lemonade.
More Refreshing Drinks You’ll Love
This lemonade is a satisfying drink on its own, but it goes well with all sorts of main dishes and sides, too. Some of our favorites are listed below:
By the way, it warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially would love to know if you tried this recipe.
Tag us on Instagram or Facebook so we can see your beautiful dish.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Jus De Citron (Haitian Lemondade)
- 4 Lemon Cut in halves
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Mint Optional
- Wash and cut the lemon in half.
- In a pitcher, add squeeze the lemons to release the juices into the pitcher. Then add the water, sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Stir well.
- Add ice if serving right away or chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves if desired. Serve and Enjoy!
- If you find the juice to be too sweet, add ½ cup water to reduce the sweetness.
- The mint is optional, but it does bring some freshness to the drink.
Can we add fresh strawberries?
Absolutely! It will change the taste slightly but it will taste delicious. Please let me know how it turns out for you.
Just made this today and it turned out perfectly! So good with the vanilla.
Thank you so much, Tara. I am so glad you liked it. The vanilla is a good twist. Thank you for trying it 🙂
This is an incredibly delicious refreshing drink!! Thanks for releasing so we can enjoy a taste of this culture!!
Thank you so much. I hope you like it. Thanks for reading!
Lemon is one of my favorite flavor and this drink is so refreshing and best summer option too.
Mine too. Thank you
All of your Haitian recipes look fantastic! I will be trying this for sure. Thank you!!
Thank you, Alexandria 🙂
I love how refreshing this is!! So easy to make, too! Perfect!
Thank you, Toni!
I totally want to be in the carribean mood at home, this is making me thirsty!! Love everything about it, how thirst quenching it looks and I can’t wait to try it. Cheers
Cheers to you and thank you, Adrianne!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
This drink sounds so flavourful and refreshing! Perfect for having a jug of it whilst sitting in the garden this summer.
YES!!! that sounds great right now. Thank you, Bintu!