With an irresistible pink hue and a refreshing taste, This grapefruit juice recipe is an easy way to add a ton of vitamins and minerals into your diet.
Paired with caramelized grapefruit and fresh mint for added depth of flavor, this Haitian grapefruit juice is the recipe to start a bright day.
Whether you are looking for a pick-me-up first thing in the morning or to cool down on a warm spring day or summer day, this juice is so simple to make and can be easily adapted to suit your taste bud.
If you like, you can even add in some sparkling water for an extra healthy spritzer!
This pink-orange citrus fruit is not only beautiful but has a long list of health benefits including over 70mg of Vitamin C plus plenty of minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
With a high fiber and water content but very low calories, you’ll often see grapefruit incorporated as part of a weight loss plan, and has even been shown to potentially reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.
Early spring is the best time to use grapefruit as it’s when they are at their peak sweetness, resulting in the most delicious juice.
Do I Need A Juicer To Make Grapefruit Juice?
While an electric juicer is the fastest and most convenient way to make your own juice at home, you don’t need to splash out on one to make this grapefruit juice recipe.
If you have a high-powered blender, just like this Vitamix Blender, or similar you can use that instead. You will just have to pass the juice through a muslin cloth or nut milk bag to separate out the pulp (although if you like your juice with pulp, by all means, go ahead and leave it in!).
Alternatively, if you have a manual hand-press juicer this will absolutely do the job, however, you will have to set aside more time to make it.
This Electric compact Dash Dual juicer is a great option if you are looking for something to sit on the counter or in the cabinet. It’s also lightweight and versatile.
How Can I Make My Grapefruit Juice Sweeter?
If you prefer a sweeter juice or happen to have got a particularly bitter grapefruit, there are a few things you can do to alter the taste.
Sweet flavors will help to cut through the bitterness, so the easiest route is to simply add some honey or sugar to your fruit before juicing.
If you would prefer to sweeten it the natural way, you can simply blend it with other fruits like banana, pineapple, orange, or whatever fruit is your favorite.
This will change the overall flavor profile of the juice but will work wonders in getting rid of that bitter edge.
You can also sweeten it with sugar or honey.
Who Should Avoid Grapefruit?
While this delicious Grapefruit Juice will fit perfectly into most diets, it’s important to note that for people who take certain pills, the fruit should be avoided entirely.
That’s because it contains substances that inhibit cytochrome P450, an enzyme your body uses to metabolize certain medications.
This includes anyone who takes medication for high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
To be on the safe side, if you are taking any kind of medication you should check with your doctor first before consuming grapefruit.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
To make grapefruit juice taste better, consider adding natural sweeteners, syrup, honey, or fruits.
If you decide to consume grapefruit daily, please speak to your doctor due to the reasons mentioned above.
Grapefruit works well with fruits such as strawberries or mixed berries, bananas, kiwi, apples, and mango.
More Delicious Juice To Enjoy
Also, we would appreciate it if could give it a star rating below!
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Homemade Grapefruit Juice Recipe
- 2 Grapefruits; Washed. Cut in half. Peel if using a blender.
- 1 ½ Cup Water; More if desired. If blending two grapefruits, add two cups of water.
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar or natural sweetner (plus more if needed) We used organic cane sugar.
- ½ Grapefruit sliced then cut into triangles
- Sugar to sprinkle over the grapefruit
- If blending the grapefruit: Wash and peel the grapefruit. Then cut it into 6 pieces.
- In a good-quality blender, add the water, grapefruit pieces, and sugar. Blend for about 45 sections but no more than 60 seconds. Strain with a sieve. Pour the juice into a glass (filled with ice-optional) and enjoy cold with caramelized grapefruit and fresh mint leaves.
- If using a Citrus Squeezer: Cut the grapefruit in half, and reserve one half to caramelize. Squeeze the juice in a pitcher over ice (if desired), then add the sweetener and water. Stir well.
- Pour the juice into a glass and garnish with fresh mint leaves and caramelize grapefruit.
- Grapefruit has a strong tart flavor. You may dilute it with water or juice of your choice to create your perfect blend.
- Caramelized grapefruit is completely optional as it is not the traditional way to make Haitian Grapefruit Juice. However, it does enhance the flavor of the juice.