By far my favorite milk bun recipe ever, and you can make them in the air fryer or in the oven! These easy, ultra-soft and fluffy milk bread rolls are made with a few ingredients and they have never tasted so good.
If you recall from our air fryer orange cake recipe post, hubby is the baker in the family. He can turn any batter into magic. But when it comes to bread, I take over!
Along the way, I’ve picked up a few tips and tricks from him. He is very precise. As you might have seen in our Instagram Stories when he recreated this bread recipe, and using a ruler to measure the dough.
What makes this milk bun recipe so good
This milk bun recipe can be made in the air fryer or in the oven.
They’re soft, flavorful, and buttered perfectly.
They fluff up like your favorite feathered pillow.
They can be made with water, but best with warm milk.
They are addictive and make your home smell like your favorite bakery.
This recipe has been tested and fool proofed over and over again.
Ingredient’s and how to make the milk bun recipe
Follow these tips and tricks to make these bread buns perfect, each time.
With thanksgiving approaching, I am not only thinking about using my air fryer to make this delicious turkey breast, and these glazed carrots, or this instant pot collard greens; but I have been perfecting this homemade dinner rolls for months, as they are the ultimate side to make for any dinner gathering.
Here’s what you’ll need a quick step-by-step guide on how to make the milk roll .
All-purpose flour: I recommend that you sift the flour. It allows the flour to be light, lump free, and this also helps the flour to be mixed well with the other ingredients. Although sifting is not necessary, it does help.
Sugar & Salt: The sugar and salt will not only balance each other out, but also adds flavor to the dough.
Instant Yeast: I use Saf instant yeast. But any yeast brand is okay. The yeast is essential to help the dough rise.
Lukewarm Milk & Butter: You cannot have bread milk roll without milk. The milk helps to make the dough richer, provides that light creamy color, and softens the dough while mixing.
Eggs: Eggs is a binding agent that holds the bread together before and after the baking process. The egg yolk combined with the milk will help provide a crispy-golden outer layer.
Knead, Shape, & Bake
Combine the ingredients & Knead the dough
I recommend using a high-quality mixer for this such as this kitchen aid mixer. If not, you may do this by hand. Note that the process will take longer if you choose to combine the ingredients by hand.
Sift the flour into bowl. Add the sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix well to combine.
Warm the milk until it reaches about 110 degrees. If you do not have a thermometer, another way is to test the milk is to take your clean index finger and stick it in the middle of the warm milk. It should not burn but should be lukewarm.
Please be careful if trying this method. It can cause burns if the milk is too hot.
Beat the eggs, then pour the eggs in the mixture. Mix well until you start to see lumps starts to form.
Then slowly add the milk and butter. This is also the time you would want to set the timer to 12 minutes.
Shape the dough
Grease a large bowl and lightly grease it with oil or butter. Shape the dough into a ball using the fold under method, see picture 11 above.
Proof the dough
Cover the pan with a clean kitchen towel, proof for one hour in a warm place, or until the dough fills the bowl.
Divide the dough
Once the dough has risen. It’s time to divide the dough. First roll the dough into a 12-inch square. To be more precise, you can use a ruler like my husband did 🙂
The take a piece and start rolling it into a small ball; using the fold under method. It’s best to use a scale for even size. Or use a round biscuit cutter.
Repeat the step until you have used all the dough. Place the rolled dough a large cookie sheet or baking dish lined with parchment paper.
Time for second proof
Once you have rolled the dough into the desired size and transfer it to the baking dish or cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper, cover the dough again with a clean kitchen towel and proof for 45 minutes.
Time to bake the bread
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees or 300 degrees in the air fryer.
Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash (milk and egg yolk), and bake for 18 minutes in the oven and 15 minutes in the air fryer, or until the top is golden brown.
Serving, storing, and reheating leftover milk bread roll
Remove the bread from the oven or air fryer, cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then gently remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
This milk bread roll is best with butter or with soups.
Leftover bread can be stored in an air tight container, free from moisture. The bread must be completely cooled before storing. The bread will stay fresh for up to 5 days at room temperature and longer in the refrigerator.
- (1) You can also use a 9″x2″ round pan or an 8″x8″ square pan. It may be easier to divide the dough into nine pieces for an 8″x8″ pan.
Other Air Fryer Recipes You Might Enjoy
If you enjoyed this milk bun roll, try these next:
By the way, it does warm our hearts to see the recipes you make from our site?
Also, we would appreciate if you could give it a star rating below!
Soft Milk Bread Rolls Recipe
- 5 Cups All-Purpose Flour Sifted
- 2 Large Eggs Lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. Butter Room Temperature; Plus more to sprinkle
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar Plus 1 Tsp.
- 1 ½ Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 ¼ Tsp. Instant Yeast Or 1 Packet
- 1 ¼ Cup Lukewarm Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Milk To mix with the egg Yolk
- 1 Egg Yolk To mix with the 1 tbsp. Milk
- Warm the milk in the microwave. The temperature should read no more than 110 degrees. Set aside. Then beat the two eggs in a separate bowl. Set aside. Using a sieve or flour sifter, sift 5 cups of flour into a large standing mixing bowl. Add the sugar, salt, and yeast. Stir in the baking machine. While the machine is running, slowly add the milk. Once the milk is added, then add the beaten eggs. Use a baking spatula to help scrape the side of the bowl so that all of the flour is incorporated. While mixing, add the butter and set the timer to 12 minutes and increase the speed to do 2. Knead in the machine until the timer goes off. Lightly sprinkle flour to a clean surface aea and place the dough on the floured surface. Shape the dough into a ball using the fold under method. See pictures in the post. Place the dough in a large clean bowl, preferably lightly oiled to avoid sticking. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour in a warm location, or until the dough has doubled in size. Flour a clean surface, punch a whole in the middle of the dough, and transfer the dough to the floured surface. See pictures for guidance. Lightly press down onto the dough to the dough and shape it into a 12" square diameter.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper, pull out a small amount of dough, shape it into a ball and roll it on a circular motion on a flour surface in a circular motion. Place the dough on the lined baking dish (or in a dish that's suitable to fit into an air fryer) about ½ inch apart. My dough was 1.25 ounces in weight. Repeat the steps until you have used all of the dough. Cover the dough with a clean towel. let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. after the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a separate bowl, whisk together the 1 tbsp. milk and egg yolk. Uncover the dough, lightly brush the dop of the douh with the egg mixture. Be sure not to press down while adding the mixture as it will flatten the dough and it will cause it to not rise when baking. Bake the bread for 18 minutes in the oven on 325°Base with melted butter and enjoy.
- Be mindful of the air fryer size. You may have to bake the bread in batches as they will not fit in the air fryer.
- Be sure to not press down on the dough while adding the egg mixture to avoid flattening the dough. This will cause the dough to not rise.
- Although the fold under method is not necessary, it does help with consistency. Also assures that the dough is rolled in a perfect circle.
- I recommend using a scale, ruler, dough cutter to help maintain even size rolls.