Hands down the best way to roasted vegetables in air fryer. Seasoned to your preference then finished with a delicious creamy yogurt sauce which adds depth and a delicious finishing touch to any meal.
At this point in time, I think that most people are aware of how truly magnificent the air fryer is. There is just something about the high heat in that compact space that gets whatever is in there so incredibly crispy, like these yuca fries, for example, or these sweet potato fries.
The best part is that the air fryer is not just great for frying veggies to the point where they become so crispy with minimal oil, they are also great for baking cakes like this chocolate chip cheese cake.
Not to mention, the air fryer heats up so fast, which makes the whole process take less time. One of the best things to cook in the air fryer are veggies. Especially root vegetables.
Roasted vegetables in air fryer have become our favorite to make for a quick weeknight meal. You can easily chop them as big or small as you prefer but remember that they cook faster when they are smaller.
With a little oil and seasoning, they will come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside every time.
In this air fryer roasted vegetables recipe, we call for these root veggies:
- Beets – Known for their vibrant color and earthy flavor. Beets are rich in folate, manganese, Vitamins C & A, and potassium.
- Sweet Potatoes – Similar to beets, sweet potatoes are very versatile. They taste great as desserts or as a savory side dish.
- Carrots – Known for their sweet flavor and brilliant orange color.
- Red onion – It adds delicious depth of flavor to these roasted vegetables recipe.
- Olive Oil – Used to help the veggies keep from drying and is used to help the vegetables crisp up.
- Salt & Pepper – Used to season the vegetables.
If you love earthy, savor flavors, beets are a fantastic choice. They have such a great flavor, and the color is so attractive, which makes food taste better.
While some people peel beets, it isn’t absolutely necessary. You do not actually have to peel any root vegetable as the skin is completely edible (Be sure to clean them really well if you don’t peel them).
It is really all about whether you are into the texture or not. Beets have a reputation for being really messy (the juice is gorgeous, but so very messy), so peeling will open the flood gates. Still, the beets are so beautiful when they are peeled.
Besides, you are going to chop them up anyways before they go in the fryer, so what is a little bit of peeling anyways? Once they are chopped, a little olive oil, salt, and pepper are all you really need, but feel free to add whatever you think will complement the natural flavor of the beets.
One of the most stylistically flexible root vegetables (or vegetables in general) is the sweet potato. They are so versatile and can be used for dessert or an entrée. It is all about the seasoning and spices (brown sugar and cinnamon or salt and pepper).
The air fryer works regardless of what end of the flavor spectrum you choose. The same rules apply to these as the beets. Cut them as big or small as you like and season them to preference.
It is a good idea to give the basket a little shake every now and then during the cooking process to ensure even cooking and an even, crispy outside.
This crunchy root vegetable is another fantastic vegetable for the air fryer. They are nice and sweet which makes them the perfect vegetable to use if you are going for a sweet and savor combination or an entirely sweet flavor. Cooking the carrots really bring out their sweetness. It is also not necessary to peel them (Scrub, scrub, scrub!)
Air Fryer Roasted Veggies Cooking Method
Chop, peel if desired, and wash the vegetables. Arrange the root vegetables in a baking try. Preheat the air fryer.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown around the edges, tossing halfway through.
Vegetables can be served hot or warm with yogurt sauce. Enjoy!
Oven Roasted Cooking Method
If you do not have an air fryer, that’s perfectly fine. This can also be done in the oven.
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. This will help make clean up a lot simpler.
Arrange the vegetables in baking sheet. It is best to group vegetables that have similar cooking times. Toss halfway through so that all sides all cooked.
If roasting a large batch and using two sheets in the oven at the same time, it is best to switch the racks halfway through so that the vegetables on both sheets brown evenly. Remove the vegetables from the sheets as they’re done.
When complete, transfer the cooked vegetables to a serving platter and serve warm with Yogurt sauce and enjoy.
Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
Air Fryer & Oven Roast Tips
- Depending on the quantity of vegetables you are roasting, we recommend using 2 baking sheets if you preparing the vegetables for a large family. In order for the vegetables to brown in the oven, they need space. Be sure to arrange the vegetables in a single layer.
- Reheat the veggies right before you eat them. As you remove the vegetables from the oven, they will start to cool down. Simply drizzle olive oil on top, toss, and reheat in the oven for a few minutes.
- If roasting them in the air fryer, roast vegetables that have similar cooking times first. You do not want to overcook the vegetables. It is best to separate the veggies based on the amount of time it takes to cook them.
- Group vegetables with similar cooking times together. This will allow the vegetables to not overcook.
- The vegetables are ready when they are fork through tender.
How To Reheat
If you’d like to serve them piping hot, toss them all back into the oven or air fryer to warm up for a few minutes before serving.
No matter how you season them and no matter how you roast them, these root roasted vegetables are a perfect side dish to finish any meal!
If you are looking for ways to serve them, pair them with any protein you like, or with one of these dinner recipes listed below:
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Air Fryer Root Vegetables
- Air Fryer
- 3 Large Beets Washed and peeled (Peeling – Optional)
- 3 Large Carrots Washed and peeled (Peeling – Optional)
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes Washed and peeled (Peeling – Optional)
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Chopped Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Air Fryer Roasted Veggies Cooking Method
- Chop, peel if desired, and wash the vegetables. Arrange the root vegetables in a baking try. Preheat the air fryer.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown around the edges, tossing halfway through.
- Vegetables can be served hot or warm with yogurt sauce. Enjoy!
- Yogurt Sauce
- Place the yogurt and all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine and place in the fridge until ready to serve.