These instant pot carrots are pressure cooked with cinnamon brown sugar and butter until tender. A very simple side dish that pairs well with your favorite main course options to include seafood or poultry.
Simple, quick, and delicious, this Instant Pot Carrots recipe couldn’t be more convenient to balance out any savory dish.
It’s true that some of the best recipes are also some of the simplest to make, and this is one recipe that you’ll come back to time and time again.
With minimal prep and a lightning fast cooking time, thanks to the instant pot, you’ll have a tasty veggie side on the table in minutes.
This orange root vegetable is not only affordable and easily accessible food but is also full of health benefits.
It is rich with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and is also a great source of fiber. Not only that, but its crunchy texture and deliciously sweet taste makes it a staple ingredient all over the world!
You can use either baby carrots or normal carrots for this recipe, but if using the regular kind, make sure to chop them into smaller even-sized pieces, so they can cook in the recommended time.
Thicker carrots tend to work best, since the ones that are too thin may start to fall apart when you go to stir them.
Carrots have a natural sweet taste, which is best complemented by simple seasonings and fresh herbs.
There are a number of different flavor combinations you can add to your Instant Pot Carrots to switch things up.
HOW TO COOK INSTANT POT CARROTS?
Using the instant pot will steam the carrots, which is a great way to bring out their natural flavor and buttery taste. As well as achieve an even texture that’s pleasant to eat.
While you do need to wait for an Instant Pot to build up pressure, it also cooks the carrots incredibly quickly, taking just 6 minutes for them to be done.
When making carrots in the instant pot, you have a couple options. You can use “any” carrots you’d like, especially baby carrots as they are already peeled and cut to size.
If you are using the regular carrots, start by peeling and slicing your carrots into even size. Place the baby carrots or the sliced carrots in a large bowl and set aside.
Melt the butter, then pour the butter over the carrots.
Next add in the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Transfer the carrots and the ingredients in the instant pot. Cover with the lid and turn the knob to sealing. Pressure cook for 6 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
FLAVOR VARIATIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
Although these carrots are delicious as-is, but if you’d like to experiment with the flavors, consider adding other ingredients to customize them to your taste.
When mixing up the flavors, we recommend adding fresh minced garlic and lemon juice to intensify the flavors even more.
Adding fresh herbs also helps to balance the sweet flavor.
- No Sugar: If you don’t want to use sugar, that’s perfectly fine. You can substitute the sugar with honey or maple syrup.
- Other Vegetables to add: This recipe works well with other vegetables, try snow peas, beets, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and even broccoli.
- Spice Options: If making this dish during the holiday season, consider adding pumpkin spice to the carrots instead of the ingredients listed in the recipe card below. You can find the recipe to our homemade pumpkin pie spice here.
- I typically make these instant pot carrots with full sized carrots that have been cut into slices. That being said, pre-cut baby carrots will also work as it is also used in this recipe.
- To cut down on time, consider peeling and slicing your carrots up to 2 days prior to cooking them. This prepping method works well when preparing for a large celebration and or for the holidays.
- If you do not have fresh carrots that’s completely fine as you can use frozen carrots with this recipe. Consider letting the carrots thaw out first and drain any of the excess water. Be mindful that frozen carrots are already pre-cooked and will not need to be cooked in the instant pot. Simply add the ingredients to the carrots and reheat in the microwave until heated through, or as directed on the package.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Place all of the ingredients including the carrots in the instant pot. Turn the knob to seal, pressure cook on high for 6 minutes.
If you want to jazz up your carrots, consider adding baby potatoes or sweet potatoes to the carrots. Remember to cut the potatoes in even small pieces so that they are cooked properly with the carrots. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Adding broccoli will further enhance this side dish. Cook both the broccoli and fresh carrots in the instant pot for 10 minutes.
Steaming vegetables in the instant pot can take between 4 to 10 minutes depending on the vegetables.
HOW TO STORE & REHEAT
Once cooled, you can store your Instant Pot Carrots in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat them, you can simply heat up a skillet pan with a bit of oil and fry them off for a minute or so.
Alternatively, you can pop them in the microwave in 1-minute intervals, checking them and stirring the carrots in between until they reach the desired temperature.
Instant pot carrots can be frozen for up 2 months. You can cook the carrots from frozen in a pan over medium heat until they’re warmed through.
Keep in mind that frozen carrots will release excess water when cooked, which means the dish may have a thinner glaze which may alter the flavor.
Carrots are such a versatile vegetable side dish that they can be served with almost anything! Classically, they are a great accompaniment to any kind of meat dish like this air fryer whole chicken, these lamb chops, and this beef stew.
We often serve these instant pot carrots as a side with other green vegetables like this instant pot collard greens. They make the perfect addition to a holiday meal and are always a hit with both kids and adults alike!
Haitian Food Pair Suggestions
As versatile as these carrots are, consider pairing them with one of our favorite Haitian Food Recipes listed below.
It warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
How To Cook Carrots In Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- 2 Lbs. Baby Carrots or 8 Large carrots peeled – optional; slice diagonally
- 1 Cup Brown sugar tightly packed
- ¼ Cup Butter unsalted
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 Tsp. Kosher salt or to taste
- ½ Tsp. Ground cinnamon
- Wash and scrub the carrots thouroughly. If using large size carrots, cut the carrots diagonally, then add the carrots to a bowl and set aside.
- Next, melt the butter then pour the butter over the carrots. Add in the sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix well. Then add the vanilla extract and mix well. Pressure cook on high for 6 minutes. Turn the knob to seal. Quick Release and serve warm as a side.