This easy Marinated Tomatoes Recipe is so juicy and delicious. A flavorful side dish that’s perfect for summer. This tomato salad includes fresh herbs, lemon juice, and garlic, making this dish a great topping for salads or tacos.
Why Make This Recipe?
This delicious, yet simple Marinated Tomato salad is made with just a few simple ingredients. However, when it comes to the reasons why you should make this recipe, the list goes on. Here are a few reasons why you should make this side dish be your number go to recipe.
- The vinaigrette for this recipe features a delicious homemade dressing.
- The tomatoes embrace the flavors of the fresh herbs and the acid from the lemon and white wine vinegar.
- The tomatoes are light, bold in flavors, slightly acidic, and is loved by everyone.
- This recipe is great as a topping for fresh green salads or steak.
- It is an easy and healthy side dish recipe that’s prepared in minutes.
- This recipe can be made ahead or the night before to save time.
- It is also a simple elegant salad that serves well on any occasion throughout the year.
When it comes to making salads, there are few things to consider when choosing onions to add to your salads. Choosing the right onion can enhance the salad, as choosing the opposite can also cause your salad to be not so enjoyable to eat.
Because this is an acidic tomato, you might find it helpful to choose the right onion. Here are a few basics to consider.
Sweet Onions: These are usually the number one type of onions to go to when making salads. They are mildly sweet, and they also taste great when cooked. Sweet onions are sweet because they contain less sulfur and they have less pungency than other onions.
Green Onions (Scallions): Green onions and scallions are used interchangeably. When eating them, in our opinion, the green part taste much better raw and is not as potent. They are perfect in soups, like this Haitian Soup Joumou (Squash soup), salads, or chilis.
Red Onions: Red onions are best to eat raw when adding them to salsas, like this Cowboy caviar, or this pico de gallo, and they serve as amazing toppings on burgers, sandwiches, and wraps like this tuna wrap. They can also be cooked as well but be mindful that they are sweet, and it will alter the flavor slightly in savory dishes.
White Onions: Now, when it comes to savory dishes, white onions are our go to. They are crispy, taste great, and is amazing with fresh garlic.
Which Tomatoes To Use?
There are so many different types of tomatoes to choose from when making salads. Remember that all tomatoes are fruits, and they are from Solanum lycopersicum plant.
Tomatoes can also be used to cook with, like in this Haitian Chicken stew recipe. They are also sometimes referred to as vegetables.
They do come in various colors; however, the most common color is red. They are They’re high in vitamin C and antioxidants. You can make this salad with:
Tomatoes on the vine, which is used in this recipe.
Green tomatoes, which is used in the sauce to make this Green chicken enchiladas recipe.
How To Make The Salad
You will need the following ingredients listed below. The full recipe with exact measures are listed below in the recipe to make this marinated tomatoes recipe perfectly each and every single time.
- Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- lemon juice
First, wash and pat dry the tomatoes.
Slice the tomatoes about ½ inch thick or desired thickness. Then aligned the tomatoes in your desired serving tray or bowl – this is where you make it look pretty.
In a separate bowl or jar, add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well.
For the step below, you can either spoon the dressing over the tomatoes or tip the bowl to drizzle the vinaigrette over the tomatoes.
Once you are done, cover the serving tray or bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
What Dishes To Serve With This Recipe?
For a complete meal and an easy weeknight dinner, pair these marinated tomatoes with the following recipes listed below.
Recipe Preparation Notes:
Can you add cucumbers to this tomato salad? This recipe is PERFECT with cucumbers added. I would suggest using cucumbers that don’t have a lot of seeds.
What kind of herbs to add to this recipe? Feel free to add any herbs you’d like to this recipe. We have made this recipe using the herbs we have on hand. Sometimes the herbs are basil, rosemary, parsley, dill, to name a few.
Be mindful that some herbs like rosemary, basil, dill, and sage are bolder in flavor. We would suggest tasting the dressing prior to pouring it over the tomatoes.
Can you use cherry tomatoes to make this recipe? ABSOLUTELY! This recipe works well with all kinds of tomatoes. We’ve even made with the gourmet medley tomatoes.
Are the tomatoes spicy? No, the tomatoes are not spicy. However, you can make this recipe spicy if you’d like.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Marinated Tomatoes Recipe
- 3 large tomatoes tomatoes on the vine
- few sliced red onions
- 1 tbsp oil olive oil, avocado oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp parsley flakes (dried)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- juice from 1 lemon fresh
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- First, wash and pat dry the tomatoes. Then, slice the tomatoes about a ½ inch thick or desired thickness. Aligned the tomatoes in your desired serving tray or bowl topped with sliced onions.
- In a separate bowl or jar, add the olive oil, vinegar, parlsey flakes, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and lemon juice.
- Spoon the dressing over the tomatoes or tip the bowl over to drizzle the vinaigrette over the sliced tomatoes and onions. Then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more before serving.