This honey Dijon salmon recipe is easy to make and elegant to serve. Prepared with just a few ingredients, this is a winner when it comes to a romantic stay-at-home date night or weeknight dinner!
There are many meals and dishes in the world, but you will agree with us that the best delicacies are those that taste like heaven and don’t take forever to prepare.
One of these types of dishes is the Honey Dijon Salmon dish.
As we introduce you to the dish while touching on its ingredients, different cooking methods, preparation process, and how best to enjoy the meal, you’ll be able to make this meal with ease.
Honey Dijon Salmon is one of the numerous meals that you can make with salmon fish.
However, it has many exciting features which include easy and fast preparation.
This Honey Dijon Salmon takes about 30 minutes to prepare and requires very few key ingredients.
Apart from being delicious, it fits many purposes and occasions, ranging from a lunch, family dinner meal, and date night meal.
Dijon Mustard originated from the French town of Dijon. The town was popular for being the center of mustard-making in the 17th century.
Therefore, it is no surprise that the spicy, tangy, and delicious mustard powder is named after the town.
Dijon mustard is usually pale brown and has a tangy, sharp but spicy taste and flavor. The powder is made with mustard seeds, wine vinegar, salt, and water.
Dijon mustard is a bit acidic, but many commercial recipes use ingredients with lower acidity and this makes the potency of the mustard seeds shine through in the powder.
Dijon mustard goes well with salmon fish. It provides a creamy and tangy flavor to the salmon fish, making it taste even better.
Also, the Dijon Mustard ensures that the salmon fish remains moist during baking.
What Type of Mustard Is Best?
Although this recipe uses honey Dijon Mustard, you can use a mixture of grainy mustard and Dijon mustard.
You can also use regular yellow mustard in this recipe if this is all you have available.
Salmon is one of the most popular types of fish available, and like other fishes, it is a great source of protein.
However, more than that, the colorful-fleshed fish is also a healthy source of fats and oil as it contains omega-3 fatty acids.
This type of fatty acid is ruled healthy and beneficial for the human body, especially the human heart.
Storage for Honey Dijon Salmon
You can effectively store your Honey Dijon salmon for up to 4 days. You can do this by refrigerating the dish once you are done cooking.
You should also ensure that you do the refrigerating within two hours after preparation.
You can also freeze or store salmon in a deep freezer. All you need to do is wrap it tightly with aluminum foil before placing it in a freezer bag to freeze. With deep freezing, your honey salmon can go up to 2 months.
After deep freezing, you can enjoy the meal over the next four days if you thaw it in a fridge. However, if thawed in a microwave, you should serve the salmon immediately.
Substitutions and Variations
You can make a lot of variations with this meal. First off, the Dijon mustard can go if you like. You could use yellow mustard instead, but we must warn you that the flavor is a tad different from yellow mustard.
You can also substitute the fresh parsley with Italian seasonings, bell pepper, and onions. You can also use oranges and limes instead of lemon slices.
However, regardless of the type of citrus, you decide on using, ensure that you don’t leave out the zest as it makes a lot of difference, especially with the taste.
Pairing The Dish
The Honey Dijon Salmon can also work well with different sides and pairings. You could serve it as a bowl with broccoli, carrots, and couscous.
You can also serve with a simple salad of greens, cucumbers, and tomatoes. There is also the option of using an olive oil and vinegar dressing.
You can also serve it with this Instant Pot Haitian white rice.
Key Ingredients Used In This Recipe
The ingredients needed for the delicacy are easy to get and the process followed in making Honey Dijon Salmon is quite easy to follow.
The ingredients include
- Skin-on Salmon Fillet
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- Dijon Mustard, Or Mustard Of Your Choice
- Tomatoes; Sliced
- Garlic Cloves; Smashed or Chopped
- Canola Oil
- Fresh Parsley; Chopped
Lightly season the salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Then sear the salmon (skin down first) on both sides until golden brown.
Remove the salmon from the stove, then set aside on a plate.
Next, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook until mushy. Then add the tomato paste. Next, deglaze with ¼ cup water, turn the heat to medium low.
Add the Jacmel seasoning and remaining seasoning. Then add ½ cup water while stirring, then add the Honey Dijon Mustard.
Next, add the creamer, lime juice, and herbs. Reduce the heat to low. Then add the salmon.
Simmer on low heat for 8-10 minutes. Serve warm with rice and veggies of your choice. Enjoy.
Tips For Making This Honey Dijon Salmon
- As much as the recipe is made with Dijon mustard, you can also use any other type of mustard for this delicacy.
- You could also get the salmon to marinate for about 10 to 15 minutes before baking it
- You need to be careful with the broiling process if you decide to finish the salmon off in the oven. Keep an eye out during the process as broilers are different and you don’t want your salmon burnt.
This Honey Dijon Salmon is a meal that is as delicious as it is nutritious. If you are looking to try out a new dish this weekend, this recipe could help you in that regard.
More Fish Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this salmon recipe, we recommend you try one of these recipes next.
MORE INTERNATIONAL DISHES TO ENJOY
It warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially would love to know if you tried this recipe.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Honey Dijon Salmon Bowl Recipe
Stovetop Method Ingredients
- 1.3 lbs. Skin-on Salmon; Cut in about 6 pieces
- Salt And Pepper To Taste; Or 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 Roma Tomato; Sliced
- ¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 2 Tbsp. Honey Dijon Mustard Or Mustard Of Your Choice
- 6 Garlic Cloves; Smashed or Chopped
- ¾ Cup Water; Divided
- 4 Tbsp. Canola Oil; Divided. More if needed
- 2 tsp. Savory Thoughts Jacmel Seasoning Blend
- 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice From 1 Lime
- ½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- ¼ Cup Creamer
- 1 tsp. Paprika
Air Fryer Method Ingredients
- 4 Skin On Salmon Fillets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ Cup Canola oil or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley flakes
- ¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- Lightly season the salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Then sear the salmon (skin down first) on both sides until golden brown. Remove the salmon from the stove, then set aside on a plate.
- Next, remove the oil from the pan leaving behind about 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook until mushy. Then add the tomato paste. Next, deglaze with ¼ cup water, turn the heat to medium low.Add the Jacmel seasoning and remaining seasoning. Then add ½ cup water while stirring, then add the Honey Dijon Mustard.Next, add the creamer, lime juice, and herbs. Reduce the heat to low. Then add the salmon. Simmer on low heat for 8-10 minutes. Serve warm with couscous and veggies of your choice. Enjoy.
Air Fryer Salmon Cooking Method
- Lightly season the salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside in a bowl or plate.Next, mix together in a bowl, the mustard, garlic powder, oil, parsley flakes, and red wine vinegar.
- Pour the mixture over the salmon and coat well. Marinate for 30 minutes or longer. Then air fry at 350 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes. Use a pastry brush to apply the liquid to the salmon halfway through. Enjoy.