Hands-down the BEST Haitian spaghetti recipe you’ll find! This is what I call a True to Goodness flavor in Haitian food. No need for store-bought sauce. No need to spend hours perfecting that thick spaghetti sauce, you won’t miss it in this recipe – NO WAY!
Remember the childhood flavors that we have come to miss as an adult, but try to revive every so often. Well for many Haitians, this is it.
Sure, you can make your own homemade pasta sauce, why go through the fuss if you are pressed for time. Try this easy Haitian pasta option, which includes fresh ingredients from onions, garlics, bell peppers and herbs.
Haitian food is very savory and flavorful. Contrary to popular beliefs of Caribbean cooking, it is not spicy – far from it. This Haitian spaghetti recipe will certainly leave you with an abundance of flavors.
Haitian Spaghetti Recipe with Kielbasa
This particular spaghetti is made with all beef kielbasa. The options of making Haitian spaghetti are endless. In Haiti, spaghetti is typically made with hot dogs, herring, or cod fish.
All the proteins mentioned are made into a tomato base sauce before placing the cooked pasta in it to soak up the flavors.
And of course, mix a little ketchup in the meal before eating will elevate all the flavors even more. This is the childhood memories that brings joy and fulfilment, all from a simple meal. You will be walking on cloud nine, maybe 10!
If you truly want to end this meal with a “bang”, I would recommend drinking this Haitian lemonade to wash it all down. Now do share if you mouth is dancing with the stars!
Since this meal is the ultimate every-day meal when it comes to Haitian food. It’s important to make it your own and pair it with whatever sides you wish to have.
As previously mentioned, some like it with avocado, boiled eggs, while others like the simplicity of bread as a side dish.
How to Make this Pasta Recipe
This pasta recipe can be prepared in advance and continued to be enjoyed over the next few days.
Cook the pasta in accordance to the box but less 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a heated oiled pan, cook the sausage.
Once all of the sausage pieces are cooked, in the same pan, add half of the onions, garlic, and half of the bell peppers. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the tomato paste, mix well. Drain the pasta but reserve two cups of the pasta water. Add the pasta to the sausage and onion mixture, then top with salt and pepper, the remaining half of the bell peppers, herbs and Epis.
Mix until well combined. If the pasta seem to be dry, add the water gradually ( a cup at a time). Cover and let cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
Add thee remaining onions. Mix one more time.
Serve warm with bread and enjoy!
In Haiti, spaghetti is a staple often enjoyed at breakfast or during lunch. You are probable asking-spaghetti for breakfast? Yes, breakfast! The starch in the pasta helps individuals sustain throughout the day, especially during the hot summer months.
However, the way one would eat spaghetti for breakfast is completely different from how one would have it for lunch. For instance, depending on the region or family, breakfast spaghetti would be sided with a slice of avocado and or boiled eggs.
Others like my husband, enjoys it with ketchup and bread for either breakfast and or lunch. This is the perfect recipe to use as an excuse to feed your kids spaghetti for breakfast without guilt. It is sustaining and it will keep them energized and full for a good part of the day.
Other Haitian Dishes You Might Enjoy:
By the way, do you know that it warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site?
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Quick & Easy Haitian – Style Spaghetti
- 1 Box Spaghetti
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 6 Oz. Tomato Paste Can
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Haitian Epis
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley Chopped
- 6 Sprigs Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 1 Pack Kielbasa Sausage
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 2 Cups Pasta Water
- Slice the sausage, onion and bell pepper. Set aside. Then chop the parsley and thyme. Set aside. Next, mince the garlic. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in accordance to the box but less 5 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large pan over medium heat cook the sausage. Remove the meat from the heat once all is cooked and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, add the bell pepper, half of the sliced onions, garlic, cook for 1 minute. Stirring constantly. Then add the tomato paste. Stir and well combine. Add 1/4 cup of the pasta water to help break down the tomato paste. Add the sausage. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the pasta, Epis, Salt and pepper to taste, chopped parsley and thyme, and the remaining pasta water. Mix well.
- Cover and let cook for 2 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Quick Tips To Make This Pasta Recipe
- When making this recipe, best to use the following pasta type: Spaghetti, linguine, or vermicelli. Angel Hair cooks fast and can be mushy.
- Use the pasta water to help add moisture to the pasta as it cooks.
- Dry herbs are fine to use, but fresh herbs are best.