This classic Creamy Southern Style Potato Salad recipe is made unique by the addition of hard boiled eggs and the sharp sweetness of pickles, providing a moreish side dish that’s the perfect complement to BBQ meats, smoky grilled chicken or steak.
Both crunchy and creamy, savory with just the right hint of sweet, Southern Potato Salad is a welcome addition to any celebration. With easy to find ingredients and even easier prep, this crowd pleaser can be rustled up in under an hour and can even be made ahead.
You can use any kind of potato in this recipe, but you will need to keep a closer eye on starchier varieties to make sure they don’t overcook.
If your potatoes are too soft then when it comes time to combine the ingredients they will start to break apart and counteract the lovely crunchiness of your other ingredients.
Potato skins may be full of nutrients, but you’ll want to peel your potatoes for this salad as they will change the overall consistency.
Simply make sure to cut your potatoes into even pieces and cook until just fork tender and you can’t go too far wrong.
Hard boiled eggs bring a richness to this dish, and you want to make sure that there is enough egg so it doesn’t get lost amongst the potato.
Egg wil naturally start to break down if you stir it too much, so it’s good to mix the ingredients until they are just combined.
This will ensure you have good-sized egg pieces throughout. A good tip to prevent your eggs from overcooking as you wait for them to cool is to immediately submerge them into a bowl of ice water.
This will not only speed up the cooling process but stop them from cooking any further.
Mayonnaise is used in this recipe to bind the ingredients together and lend the dish an indulgent, creamy texture. Make sure to use the best quality mayonnaise you can find as this will make quite a big difference to the flavor of the potato salad.
When it comes to both the mustard and the pickles, feel free to use whichever variety you like best. If you would prefer a little less crunch, you could always use sweet relish instead of pickles.
This potato salad is super creamy and bright with the perfect balance of soft texture and crunchy textures from the onions, bell peppers, and green onions.
Unlike other recipes, we do not add Miracle Whip and we use Avonaise instead of Mayo, but trust me, you won’t miss them and will not even notice they are gone. You can use Yukon gold potatoes to make this recipe as well. Here are some of nontraditional ingredients that are included:
- Avonaise is very similar to mayonnaise but with less fat.
- Dijon mustard make the salad taste bright & tangy.
- Green Onions is included instead of celery. Our kids are picky with celery; although celery is a classic ingredient when making potato salads. It adds a necessary crunch to the potatoes.
- Red Bell Peppers add a pop of red and extra crunch.
- Paprika is optional, but it gives the dressing a pretty pink color.
How To Make Southern Potato Salad Ahead
If you like, you can cook up the potatoes and eggs the night before you make your Southern Potato Salad.
Then, all you need to do on the day is chop up your other ingredients and mix them with your condiments.
This side dish can be eaten either hot or cold, so when it’s all prepared you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days before serving (half this if you are using homemade mayonnaise).
MORE SALAD RECIPES TO ENJOY
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes are best to use for potato salad.
Cutting the potatoes first will ensure that the potatoes are cooked together and faster. It is not necessary.
You do not need to boil the eggs and potatoes together. However, you want the eggs to be perfectly boiled. Boiling them together will ensure that everything is cooked evenly and will result in perfectly hard boiled eggs.
This potato salad would be the perfect addition to a summer potluck.
You can make it and serve it right away or prep it several days in advance. It is great with one of the following recipes below:
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Creamy Southern Style Potato Salad Recipe
- 4 large russet potatoes peeled and washed
- 5 large eggs
- 1 green onion or celery stalk, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 12 oz jar Avonaise
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 2 tsp. cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. paprika not smoked paprika
- In a large pot, boiled the eggs and potatoes for about 10-12 minutes, or until they are soft (but firm). You do not want the potatoes to be mushy, or break down when fork is inserted. Once the potatoes and eggs are coked, run the potatoes under cold water. Or place them in an ice bath. This process will shock the eggs and will stop them from cooking longer. It will also help with peeling the eggs. Cut the potatoes into ¾ inch pieces and place them in a large clean bowl. Peel the eggs and cut into bite size pieces and place them on top of the potatoes.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients. Mix all of the ingredients with the potatoes and eggs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Best chill overnight. Serve cold as a side.