Is there anything more satisfying than a delicious no bake pie? This no bake blueberry pie recipe is one of the easiest fruit pies around, pairing fruity sweetness with a sweet golden, cookie crust.
It’s the perfect treat at the end of a family meal, best served warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
As well as giving this pie filling a beautiful deep purple color, blueberries are also one of the easiest fruits to use for baking, as in this twisted bread.
This is because there is no peeling or pitting required, and they can be found at almost any grocery store at any time of year.
The key to choosing the most flavorsome blueberries is to look for berries that are firm, plump and dry. Opt for berries that are a deep purple or blue – red colored berries aren’t ripe yet and won’t have the same taste.
Once you’ve got your blueberries home, store them in the refrigerator in a covered bowl or container (their original packaging should be suitable) and wash them thoroughly before cooking.
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries?
It is absolutely possible to use frozen blueberries in this no bake blueberry pie recipe, although the end result will be slightly different.
Frozen blueberries will have a slightly stronger flavor and you may need to make some adjustments to avoid soggy crust or pastry, if using it. This is because frozen fruit tends to release more juice, more quickly than fresh fruit.
If using frozen blueberries in this blueberry pie no bake with a pastry crust, you might like to pre-bake the bottom pastry layer of your pie for 5-7 (minimum) minutes before adding your filling.
Be warned, however, that this will make it harder to stick on the top crust, as it won’t adhere in the same way as if it were raw. Because of this, you may prefer to top your pie with Graham cookie pie crust cut-outs, or simply omit the top layer altogether.
It may be tempting to use a store-bought pie crust, which is perfectly fine. But homemade is infinitely more delicious and isn’t as hard to make as you might think.
It uses very few, basic ingredients such as the one used in this Haitian Pumpkin Pie recipe, and once you have the technique down you’ll never use store-bought again!
There are a few things you need to know to make sure you get that perfect, flaky crust if using a pastry crust.
- First, the butter you use absolutely must be cold. If it is too warm it will melt into the flour and you’ll end up with a tough, cracker-like crust.
- Second, always start with a small amount of water and work your way up. You want to use just enough so that the dough holds together when you pinch it between your fingers. Add too much and your pie crust will be chewy, add too little and it will crack and fall apart.
- And finally, you must chill your dough for at least 30 minutes before you roll it out. This not only makes it easier to roll but also helps to prevent it from shrinking as it bakes.
If you are not comfortable with this process, consider using Graham Cracker crumbs as used in this recipe. This will cut down on time and will add an extra level of sweetness.
Preparing this no bake blueberry pie recipe is incredibly easy to make. Here are the steps you’ll need to take:
First, prepare the pie crust by melting the butter and mixing it with the crumbs. Carefully pour it into a pie dish. Use your hand (when cool to touch) to pat down the crust, or use a cup with a flat bottom to pat the crust down spreading along the side.
Next, place the crust in the fridge too cool for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the filling.
Using a small bowl or cup. Mix together the cornstarch and water together until the cornstarch as dissolved (set aside).
In a medium size sauce pan, add the blueberries (we added the 2 ½ cups of the frozen blueberries).
Add in the cornstarch mixture, vanilla extract, and sugar. Gently mix to combine. Allow the blueberries to cook for about 15 minutes on medium low heat, stirring constantly.
Remove the blueberries from the heat, then add the remaining (fresh) blueberries. Fold to combine.
Pour the blueberry mixture in the pie crust and spread evenly.
Next, while the pie cools down in the refrigerator, it’s time to make the topping.
Although the pie can be served as is once cooled, the topping will add an extra level of sweetness and flavor.
To make the whipped cream, first, add the heavy whipping cream to the bowl.
Next, add the powdered sugar and whisk until light and fluffy. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Top the whipped cream over your chilled pie and spread it around to cover the pie.
Cut into desired slices and serve. Enjoy.
Looking for More Blueberry Recipes?
If you’d like to try more blueberry recipes after this delicious no bake blueberry pie, consider one of the following recipes below:
It warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially would love to know if you tried this blueberry milkshake.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Don’t forget to see this recipe and all our latest videos on YouTube!
Blueberry No Bake Pie
For The Crust
- 1 ½ Cup Graham Crackers Crumbs
- 1 Stick Butter Unsalted
- 4 ½ Cups Blueberries We used 2 ½ Cups of frozen blueberries (thawed) and 2 cups of fresh Blueberries
- 3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ Cup Sugar
For The Crust
- Prepare the pie crust by melting the butter and mixing it with the crumbs. Carefully pour it into a pie dish. Use your hand (when cool to touch) to pat down the crust, or use a cup with a flat bottom to pat the crust down spreading along the side.Place the crust in the fridge too cool for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the filling.
Prepare the Filling
- Using a small bowl or cup, mix together the cornstarch and water together until the cornstarch as dissolved (set aside). In a medium size sauce pan, add the blueberries (we added the 2 ½ cups of the frozen blueberries) over low heat. Add in the cornstarch mixture, vanilla extract, sugar, salt and lemon juice. Gently mix to combine. Allow the blueberries to cook for about 15 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Adjust the heat to medium low if necessary. Remove the blueberries from the heat, then add the remaining (fresh) blueberries. Fold to combine. Pour the blueberry mixture in the pie crust and spread evenly. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Top With Whipped cream and enjoy.