This stovetop mac and cheese recipe is an outstanding, rich, creamy, and an ultra-cheesy dish! There’s no need to turn to the boxed macaroni and cheese version. Prepare this creamy mac and cheese in minutes.
Savory Thoughts: The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow.
Simple mac and cheese
A stand-alone dish that’s prepared in one pot mainly by my little 8-year-old chef. He also took the top photo and assisted with the other pictures in this post as well 🙂 I think I may have a growing chef in my hands, guys!
You can prepare this macaroni and pair it with air fried tilapia and broccoli for a simple dinner. No need to use the oven to bake it and it is paired well with all sorts of protein, vegetables, and salads.
Why is this the best stovetop mac and cheese recipe?
- It includes a rich, easy creamy mac and cheese sauce.
- Kid approved! My baby helped with this recipe 🙂
- Simple to make as it is ready in minutes.
- Pairs well with salmon, fries, burgers, or ribs.
How do you make homemade mac and cheese?
You can use the same pot that the pasta was cooked in to make this dish.
First, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box. Drain and set aside.
Prepare the sauce, also known as roux, then add the pasta.
Serve warm with vegetables and choice of meat (optional).
I find that making mac and cheese over the stove is so much better than the box version, and taste so much better too!
What Cheese is used to make creamy mac and cheese sauce?
I have no preference when it comes to using cheese. Some recipes call for fancy cheese, whereas, other recipes call for pre-shredded cheese. I say use whatever fits your fancy.
For this recipe, I used a combination of cheddar, mozzarella, and grated Parmesan.
Velveeta is also very famous when making macaroni and cheese over the stove. My best advice is to make the food taste good, use what’s available, and think about what cooperates well with your health/diet.
se any cheese that melts well.
Quick mac and cheese recipe tips:
- Do not overcook the pasta, as it will make the ending dish soft and mushy.
- Follow the directions on the box when cooking the pasta for best results. I always like to cook the pasta a couple of minutes less than the recommended time to avoid overcooking.
- Salt the water to provide flavor and add oil to prevent the pasta from sticking to each other. Try to avoid constant stirring as well.
- Take your time with the sauce. When melting the butter and flour, it can be very tricky. I recommend cooking the flour in medium-low heat. Especially if this is your first time. The flour requires constant stir or whisking (suggested). Try to stir or whisk in a circular motion.
- Add the cheese the first sign you see the milk is starting to bubble.
- Adjust the salt level and cheese as needed.
I would love to know if you made this Stovetop Mac and CheeseRecipe.
SAVE THIS HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARDS!
ALSO, I AM ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES, LET’S CONNECT ON PINTEREST!
How to make this simple mac and cheese?
Stovetop Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in accordance with the directions on the box, minus less than 2 minutes of the recommended time. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot or large saucepan, melt the butter and mix in the flour. Start whisking the minute the flour is adding to avoid lumps. While whisking, slowly add the milk and creamer. Continue to whisk a few times and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Once you see the milk is starting to boil, add the mustard, parmesan cheese, and cheddar cheese. Continue whisking to well combine.
- Add the macaroni, season with salt to taste and mix well. Then add the mozzarella cheese. Mix well.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Quick mac and cheese recipe tips:
Try not to overcook the pasta, it will become mushy.
Follow the directions on the box when cooking the pasta for best results.
Salt the water and add oil to prevent the pasta from sticking to each other.
Take your time with the sauce. Try to stir or whisk in a circular motion.
Add the cheese the first sign you see the milk is about to bubble.
Adjust the salt level and cheese as needed.