Look no further than this Baked Chicken And Rice if you’re after a new easy, midweek dinner that everyone will love.
With minimal preparation and without skimping on taste, this one-dish dinner is an easy family favorite.
This recipe is quick to prep and needs very little attention. Pairing juicy, succulent meat with fluffy, perfectly cooked rice that’s packed full of flavor.
So, stock up to create an easy, family meal favorite that’s ready in minutes. All ingredients used in this recipe are available at your local grocery store.
Tasty high-quality foods are the cornerstone of all cultural favorites. It invites us all to gather around. Hence the reason why we have chosen the juiciest part of the chicken to prepare this Baked Chicken And Rice dish.
Chicken thighs without skin are the best choice of meat for this recipe. As thighs have a longer cooking time than chicken breast, they take about the same time as the rice in the oven.
Though chicken breasts may be a healthier option, close attention is needed in order to make sure the rice is not overcooked, and the chicken is not dry.
Skin off thighs are best as they prevent the fat from the skin dripping into the rice and making the dish overly greasy.
However, even without the skin, the flavor of the chicken thighs will be absorbed by the rice, making for a delicious meal.
You may wonder how well rice can really cook in the oven? I promise, if you follow these guidelines, it will come out great.
Most short or long grain varieties can be used for this Baked Chicken And Rice recipe, making it a great recipe for using up any bag of rice left in your cabinet.
The only type of rice I would not suggest for this recipe are paella or risotto rice. They don’t work so well in the oven when simply left to their own devices.
As well as using up any half-eaten bags of rice, Baked Chicken And Rice is perfect for using up vegetables leftover from other recipes, or frozen vegetables as in used in this recipe.
You can use almost any kind of vegetable you like, though peppers, green beans, peas and broccoli go particularly well with the savory chicken.
Combined with the protein from the meat and carbohydrates from the rice, adding in the mixed vegetables makes for a healthy, nutritionally well-rounded meal.
Mixed frozen vegetables are also available at the local grocery store or may be purchased online.
Seasoning & Ingredients
For this recipe, you only need 5 ingredients, which make it perfectly easy and hassle free mid-week meal.
- 1 ½ Cups Uncooked White Rice
- 1 Pk. Frozen Mixed Vegetables – Or you may use frozen broccoli, carrots and peas, or frozen green peas.
- 2 ½ Tsp. (divided) Cajun seasoning – This will help to season both the meat and rice
- 2 ½ Tsp. (Divided) Lemon Pepper Seasoning – This will help add a slight lemon and acidic flavor to your dish
- 4 Chicken Thighs – Skin on or off.
Cajun spices are a great compliment to chicken, providing a flavorful blend of paprika, garlic and onion powder, thyme, oregano and a generous kick of heat.
It’s easy enough to make your own, but there are plenty of high-quality Cajun blends out there that will work perfectly with this meal. This seasoning can also be found at the nearest store with various brand version.
Is It Really Safe To Cook Raw Chicken With Rice?
Absolutely! If your chicken has no pink bits inside and its juices run clear, it is cooked through and completely safe to consume.
If you’d like to be double sure, you can always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat.
Simply insert it into its thickest part (avoiding the bone) and wait until the temperature hits 165 ºF.
Is it better to bake chicken covered or uncovered?
Although you can bake this chicken and rice without covering it, we recommend that you cover it so it can retain its moisture and also helps the meat and vegetables to cook properly.
How do I make chicken and rice less boring?
Spice your chicken and rice up with this Haitian Epis (seasoning).
Consider adding flavors you enjoy. If you do not want to bake your dish with frozen mixed vegetables, consider making the chicken and rice together then serving it with this Mexican black beans.
If you are feeling extra ambitious, try the flavors from this air fryer chicken fajita skewers.
You may use chicken breast to make this dish. However, lower the oven temperature by 25 ºF and cook an extra 5 minutes or until it reaches 165 ºF.
If you are using frozen vegetables as indicated in this recipe, there’s no need to add water as this will make the rice slightly mushy and soggy. However, if you are going for a softer texture, then we recommend only using 1 cup of water and baking it for 50-60 minutes.
Searing the meat first will allow the chicken to remain crispy on the outside and juicy in the inside while it bakes in the oven.
If baking this dish is not what you are going for, then consider making this chicken and rice over the stove.
Simply sear the meat as directed in the recipe card. Remove the meat and set aside on a plate, sauté onions and garlic (if desired), add the mix vegetables or chosen vegetables, then add the rice – mix well.
Next season as desired or to taste, then add the chicken over the rice and 1 cup of water. Do not stir. Cover with lid. Cook on medium low for 35-40 minutes; reducing the heat to low when the water evaporates.
Check the meat with the meat thermometer. Simply insert it into its thickest part (avoiding the bone) and wait until the temperature hits 165 ºF.
More Rice Recipes To Enjoy
If you enjoyed this baked chicken and rice recipe, consider trying these recipes next:
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Don’t forget to subscribe see this recipe and all our latest videos on YouTube!
Baked Chicken And Rice
- 1 ½ Cups Uncooked White Rice
- 1 Pk. Frozen Mixed Vegetables 8 Oz
- 2 ½ Tsp. divided Cajun seasoning
- 2 ½ Tsp. Divided Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 4 Chicken Thighs – Skin on or off.
- 1 ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Wash and season the meat. Preheat the oven to 350°. Next, season the meat with 1 tsp. of the cajun seasoning and with 1 tsp. of the lemon pepper seasoning. In a large skillet, add the oil and sear the checkine on all sides. Remove the chicken once it is golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- In a baking dish, add the vegetables, rice, and apply the rest of the seasoning. Next, Place the chicken on top of the rice and vegetables. Pour the chicken broth around the chicken. Cover the dish with foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, drizzle the top of the chicken with olive oil (about 1 tbsp.). This will help the chicken to become crispy. Bake for an additional 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.Stand for 5 minutes, then remove chicken and fluff up rice. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired, serve and enjoy!