Instant Pot Flan – Flan is a gorgeously sweet, smooth, and silky dessert that is enjoyed by cultures all around the world.
It may look intimidating, but with a little know-how, it’s surprisingly easy to put together. And with this Instant Pot Flan recipe, it’s never been simpler!
Using a few easy-to-find ingredients and with just a few steps, your family will be enjoying this caramel-glazed, cooked custard in no time. This instant pot dessert was certainly a hit with my husband and the kiddos.
How To Make The Caramel
Making the caramel is probably the most technically challenging part of this recipe. This is because once the sugar gets too hot, it starts to burn very, very quickly. The key to a successful caramel is really just to keep a careful eye on it.
Once it has reached a deep amber color and begins to smoke and foam just a little bit, it’s time to remove it from the heat.
It’s probably best to make the caramel without any little ones in the kitchen, as caramel gets incredibly hot and can do some real damage if it comes into contact with the skin.
If you have any hard, dried caramel stuck on the bottom of your pan, a good trick is to fill the pot with water and bring it to the boil. The caramel will dissolve into the water, saving you a good deal of scrubbing and scraping!
This caramel was prepared in the microwave. Simply microwave the sugar and water for 3 minutes in the baking bowl or until the sugar reaches the amber color.
How To Prepare The Flan Mixture
Flan may seem like a tricky dessert, but the mixture itself couldn’t be easier to put together.
All the ingredients are simply combined in a bowl.
The mixture can also be prepared in a blender. It’s important that you blend them rather than mix them by hand, as this will ensure a smooth and silky mixture that gives the flan its signature texture.
Why Has My Instant Pot Flan Not Set?
If your flan is looking too liquid, it is worth leaving it for a while longer in the fridge. The cooling process helps the flan to set, and it may just be that it’s not had enough time in the refrigerator.
If it is still not set, it means that the flan was either not cooked long enough or that the temperature of your Instant Pot was too low.
How Do I Remove My Instant Pot Flan From The Pan?
There’s nothing worse than making a gorgeous flan only to have it break when you try and transfer it to a plate. To avoid any disasters, first let the flan come up to room temperature, then refrigerate.
Run a sharp knife along the edge of the pan to loosen the sides and very gently pat the sides of the pan with your hands to help release it. Finally, firmly hold your plate upside down on top of the pan and flip it in one quick fluid motion.
Once flipped, you should be able to gently pull the pan up, leaving the flan and all that delicious caramel behind.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If your flan is too liquid, leave it in the fridge longer. The cooling process helps the flan to set.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
If you love this easy instant pot flan recipe, you’re in luck! Here are some more delicious desserts for you to enjoy.
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Instant Pot Flan Recipe
- ⅓ Cup Sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp Water
Instant Pot Custard
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 14 Oz. Can Condensed Milk
- 2 Cups Water
- In a baking bowl suitable to fit the instant pot and trivet (about 4 inches will work). Add the sugar and water. Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes or until golden and bubbly.Using oven mitts, carefully swirl the caramel liquid coating the bottom half of the bowl.Set aside and allow cooling. Meanwhile, make the custard.
How To Make The Flan Custard
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and condensed milk. Whisk together until combined. Transfer custard batter to the caramel.
- Cover the bowl with aluminum foil. Be sure there are no open spaces. The bowl must not allow any air to come through.In the instant pot, add 2 cups water. Place the sealed (covered) bowl on top of the trivet/rack. Then transfer to the Instant Pot.Cover with the lid, and press the steam button, using the low pressure option. To change the pressure option, keep pressing "steam" until the light is under the word "low". Turn knob to “Sealing”.Adjust the time to 12 minutes. It can take about 10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure.
- When the timer goes off, allow instant pot to release naturally; about 10-12 minutes.Safely remove the trivet and bowl. No need to remove the foil. Let the cooked Flan cool on the counter for about 1 hour.Transfer the dessert to the refrigerator to chill for at least 6 hours or longer.
- To serve this delicious dessert, run a (butter) knife around the flan to loosen the Flan from the bowl. Flip the bowl over on a large plate. Slice with a pie server and enjoy.