Known for its Italian – American origin, parmesan chicken is one of the popular and lip-smacking delicious non-pasta dishes.
Honestly, this is one of the fanciest chicken meals out there that’s loaded with flavors, sauces, and cheese that will for sure fulfill your appetite.
So, if you are ready to savor some parmesan chicken, we have some amazing details to share with you.
What Is Parmesan Chicken?
Also known as chicken Parmigiano, parmesan chicken is a popular dish that has well-cooked, yet tender breaded chicken breast smothered in tomato sauce, along with two or three different kinds of cheese.
Traditionally, these cheeses include provolone cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese.
However, this recipe only includes mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Some restaurants and people also add a handful of bacon or ham to make it meatier.
The parmesan chicken has been around since the 20th century and was put forward by the Italian diaspora.
Ever since it made rounds in the culinary world, it’s been speculated that this dish is made with a combination of two Italian dishes, melanzane alla parmigiana and cotoletta.
This is because melanzane alla Parmigiano has bread eggplant slices while cotoletta is the bread veal cutlet served without cheese.
Parmesan chicken is used as a base for a variety of different recipes, including pies and sandwiches. However, it’s served on its own at various restaurants as well.
You might not know this but it has an Asian version, making it an addition to fusion cuisine.
Having said that, the recipe includes a limited amount of soy sauce to the tomato sauce and can be served with stir-fried noodles or rice.
In various English areas, parmesan chicken is served as chicken katsu parmesan. Not to forget, soy sauce is used as a substitute for salt as well as for egg wash for your chicken.
What Does Parmesan Chicken Taste Like?
Well, parmesan chicken is delicious with the undertones of a variety of herbs and spices, which brings out a flavorful bite every time you put it in your mouth.
It wouldn’t be wrong to say that it’s a comforting, hearty, and stick-to-the-ribs type of delicious, which means you are ought to love every bite of it.
It has the juiciest chicken breasts that are sliced in big yet thin cutlets, which are then fried.
Once fried to perfection, the chicken breast is smothered in marinara sauce and is topped with fresh parmesan, mozzarella, and provolone cheese.
The chicken breast is baked after adding cheese and sauces. It achieves the crispy crust with the pool of melted cheese while marinara sauce adds salty and sharp flavors, which means it will be worth every calorie.
How To Make Parmesan Chicken?
Honestly, it looks like a fancy and difficult dish to make but you can always enjoy the delicious flavors of parmesan chicken whenever you want something quick and easy to prepare, as this recipe is completely fuss-free.
In simpler words, the recipe is easy and simple, the ingredients are something you might already have in the pantry, and some ingredients can be purchased from the nearby grocery store.
So, let’s check out the instructions for making your own restaurant-like parmesan chicken at home.
- First, you must cut the chicken breasts into big and thin cutlets, and you can do this by slicing them horizontally.
- Then, line up the shallow dishes or bowls, baking pans, or pie plates, and start filling them. One bowl should have a combination of salt, garlic powder, eggs, and parsley flakes.
- The other plate should have a combination of breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.
- Add the chicken to the egg mixture and allow it to marinate for a least 30 minutes.
- When ready, transfer the chicken, one at a time, to the breadcrumb mixture. Coat well on both sides.
- In a large skillet heated olive oil over medium heat, fry the chicken breast slices for two minutes per side. This will help lock in the juice and will provide a golden crust.
- When the chicken is cooked, start putting it on the baking sheet and top it with marinara sauce and mozzarella sliced cheese. You may also use parmesan cheese or provolone cheese.
- Lastly, just bake the chicken until it’s done and the cheese will be all bubbly and melted
- Serve and enjoy!
What Goes Well With Parmesan Chicken?
To begin with, parmesan chicken can be served over pasta because that’s the ultimate and classic way of serving this delicious chicken.
In addition, it can be served on its own at lunch and dinner but it’s obvious that you have to select some sides.
Not to forget, it tastes yummy with cucumber salad, broccoli salad, Caesar salad, and veggie noodles.
How To Store Parmesan Chicken?
When fully cooked, dish can be refrigerated for over three to five days (yes, with the sauce and cheese). However, if you haven’t poured the sauce and melted the cheese, the chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for over a week.
As far as freezing is concerned, it’s not possible to freeze, so just refrigerate for a few days and enjoy it.
On top of everything, you should use an airtight container for storing the chicken to make sure it doesn’t absorb other flavors from your fridge.
More Recipes To Enjoy
If you enjoyed this Parmesan Chicken Recipe, we recommend you try one of these recipes next.
It warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially would love to know if you tried this recipe.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Parmesan Chicken Recipe
Marinate The Chicken
- 4 large Chicken breast
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
For The Breading
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
For The Sauce
- 24 oz Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Dry basil
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil More if needed
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cut the chicken breasts into big and thin cutlets, and you can do this by slicing them horizontally.Then, line up the shallow dishes or bowls, baking pans, or pie plates, and start filling them. One bowl should have a combination of salt, garlic powder, eggs, and parsley flakes.The other plate should have a combination of breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.Add the chicken to the egg mixture and allow it to marinate for a least 30 minutes.
- When ready, transfer the chicken, one at a time, to the breadcrumb mixture. Coat well on both sides.In a large skillet heated olive oil over medium heat, fry the chicken breast slices for two minutes per side. This will help lock in the juice and will provide a golden crust.When the chicken is cooked, transfer the meat onto a baking sheet and top it with marinara sauce and mozzarella sliced cheese. You may also use parmesan cheese or provolone cheese.Bake the chicken until it’s done and the cheese will be all bubbly and melted.Serve and enjoy!