Instant Pot Pigeon Peas Stew- A satisfying vegan stew, straight from my native country, Haiti. This humble pigeon peas quickly comes together to complete a satisfying meal.
Prepared in a tasty, aromatic tomato sauce, and best served with a generous amount of rice, this is one of those comforting dishes that’s so satisfying and screams comfort.
Occasionally, it turns into a meaty stew with the addition of small-diced beef or chicken, but I much prefer it as a vegan stew. If you want to step it up further, we can also transfer this dish into a gravy. It is absolutely delicious over white rice.
Pigeon Peas Benefits
Pigeon peas are rich in magnesium, calcium, and potassium. The seeds vary in shape, size and color. It is round or oval and can be white, brown, red, green, greyish and or purplish in color.
Other Advantages are listed below:
Maintains blood pressure – Potassium is the key mineral which is found in pigeon peas. It reduces the blood constriction and also reduces blood pressure.
Protein – Pigeon peas are also loaded with high protein content. This is essential growth and development. It helps to protect cells, muscles and bones.
Helps fight anemia – Folate is key when it comes to fighting anemia.
Calorie Count – The peas are low in calories, cholesterol and saturated fats. However, they are in high in fiber which is necessary to staying full longer.
Energy boost – Vitamin B is also present in pigeon peas.
How to Cook Dried Peas In The Instant Pot
Cooking the dried peas in the instant pot is easy! Here’s what you need to do:
- Wash the peas. If using dried beans, before cooking the peas, wash the peas completely. Depending on the brand, or where the peas are from, small stones or debris are often mixed in with dried peas.
- No need to soak the peas. No need to soak the peas as they are cooked in the instant pot.
- Cooking the pigeon peas in the instant pot. After rising the peas in the instant pot, click on sauté. Add the oil, onions, and garlic. Mix well and cook for 1 minute. Then add the tomato paste and carrots. Add the cooked beans. Next add the liquid, stir. Cover and seal. Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Release pressure, and serve over rice.
How to Cook Dried Pigeon Peas Over The Stove?
If cooking the peas over the stove, I recommend soaking them first to help ease the cooking process. Soak the peas for at least 8 hours, or overnight. Drain the water and rinse the peas before cooking them on the stove.
If cooking 2 cups of peas over the stove, add 5 cups of fresh water. Cook for 40 minutes or until tender.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ):
If cooking the peas over the stove, we recommend soaking the peas first for at least 8 hours or overnight. If they are being cooked in the Instant Pot, there’s no need to soak the pigeon peas.
Pigeon peas can eaten with white rice or vegetables. They easy to boil. If using the can pigeon peas, they can be sautéed with onions and garlic, simmered or steamed with other vegetables.
Store the leftover pigeon peas stew in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. You may also or freeze the stew for several months!
More Vegan Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
Instant Pot Haitian Rice And Beans
We’d especially would love to know if you tried this recipe, tag us on Instagram or Facebook so we can see your beautiful dish.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Pigeon Peas Stew
- 2 cups pigeon peas dried
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 minced garlic or 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced (½ inch)
- 3-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 ½ tsp. All Spice
- ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook The Peas In The Instant Pot
- Sort through and wash the dried pigeon peas. Place in the instant pot and add 5 cups of water. Cover and seal. Cook for 45 minutes on high pressure. Quick release. Transfer the beans with the water in a large bowl.Click sauté on the instant pot adjust the timer to 30 minutes. Add the oil, garlic, onions, stir.
To Make The Stew
- Click sauté on the instant pot adjust the timer to 30 minutes. Add the oil, garlic, onions, stir.Add the tomato paste, peas, and carrots. Stir until well combined. Then add the seasoning/spice and the thyme. Add the coconut milk and water.
- Cover and seal. Cook for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release and serve warm with rice.
I didn’t know what pigeon peas were until today – thank you for teaching me something new – this looks delicious btw – so flavorful!
We are so glad you learned something new. Thank you, Shashi!
A really hearty and comforting stew, just packed with flavour – thanks so much.
Thank you very much, Kate!
I love anything with coconut and this looks like a great budget friendly meal.
Thank you, Dannii!
Such a wonderful and comforting meal! It sounds incredible with the aromatic tomato sauce. So much flavor!
Thank you so much Tara!!
Looks amazing. I’ve never heard of pigeon peas. Are they available at most grocery stores.
Matt, I have lived in Massachusetts and in Southern New Mexico and have found them in both places. Otherwise, you can find them online for sure.
Matt, you should be able to find it at the International Stores in the freezer section. Or you an also purchase the canned and dry ones online with my affiliate link here https://amzn.to/3trwZl5.
Oh wow, you did it again. So yummy!
Thank you. So glad you liked it!!!
The coconut milk makes this dish so delicious, I’m blown away by the flavor!
Your comment made my day! Thank you so much!!!