Chocolate Covered Marshmallows – Instead of buying your love a box of chocolates this Valentine’s Day, why not switch things up with these homemade marshmallow treats!
Easy to put together and even more delicious to eat, Chocolate Covered Marshmallows are perfect for special occasions and are a fantastic alternative to more traditional candy.
These no-bake bites are also great to make with kids, who will have lots of fun dipping the marshmallows in chocolate and rolling them in colorful sprinkles!
This recipe works best with standard-sized marshmallows rather than mini, as it makes it much easier to dip them in the chocolate without making a mess and gives you a great ratio of chocolate to marshmallow.
Bear in mind that most marshmallows do contain gelatin, so if you are making these for a vegetarian loved one, be sure to seek out ones without. Whole Foods stock a brand called Dandies that are 100% vegan and indistinguishable from regular marshmallows.
Dark and white chocolate are used in this recipe, though it will work just as well with milk chocolate if that’s what you prefer.
There are a couple of ways you can melt your chocolate, either by placing it in a bowl above a pot of hot water (making sure it doesn’t touch the base of the bowl) or by simply putting it in a bowl in the microwave.
If you melt your chocolate in the microwave, it’s really important to stir and check it at 30 second intervals so that it doesn’t burn. This can happen in a matter of seconds and will transform your delicious chocolate into a hard and lumpy mess.
If you accidentally overheat your chocolate, you can try to salvage it by transferring it to a dry bowl and adding in some more chocolate chunks, stirring continuously, to bring down the temperature.
The decoration is what makes these marshmallow treats extra special and is where you can really let your imagination run wild.
I’ve used sprinkles in this recipe to make the Chocolate Covered Marshmallows extra pretty and add a little crunch.
However, feel free to experiment with other toppings like freeze dried raspberry pieces, graham cracker crumbs, crushed nuts or shredded coconut.
Come December you can even give them a festive spin by coating them in crushed peppermint candies.
Storing Your Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
Once made, you can store your sweet treats in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to a week.
If you live in a particularly hot area, you might prefer to store them in the refrigerator to ensure the chocolate doesn’t melt.
Alternatively, if you would like to give your Chocolate Covered Marshmallows as a gift, they look beautiful piled into a clear cellophane bag and tied at the top with ribbon.
How To Make Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows?
Gather the ingredients. Place the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and the white chocolate in another microwave-safe bowl. Add the coconut oil or shortening. Set aside.
Take one marshmallow and one straw, stick the straw in the middle of the marshmallow (see picture 1 below).
Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave again in 15 minutes intervals (if needed) until just melted (see picture above under “chocolate”).
Add 1 marshmallow into the melted chocolate and submerge it (see picture 3 above).
Remove the marshmallow, remove excess chocolate by tapping it against the side of the bowl gently. Here you may add a few drops from the melted white chocolate to the chocolate and decorate as desired.
Repeat the steps with the dark to white covered chocolate marshmallows. Sit on a rack or plate and repeat the steps.
Other Treats You’ll Enjoy:
We would love to know if you tried this recipe, tag us on Instagram or Facebook so we can see your beautiful dish.
Please follow us on YouTube to see all of our latest videos!
Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows
- 1 Cup package Chocolate Wafers 1 cup of each white and dark
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or coconut oil
- 1 16-ounce bag marshmallows or Jumbo size
- Lollipop sticks
- Assorted sprinkles or small candies optional
- White chocolate wafers for decorations optional
- Gather the ingredients. Place the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and the white chocolate in another microwave-safe bowl. Add the coconut oil or shortening. Set aside. Take one marshmallow and one straw, stick the straw in the middle of the marshmallow (see picture 1 below).
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. And microwave again in 15 minutes intervals (if needed) until just melted.Add 1 marshmallow into the melted chocolate and submerge it. Remove the marshmallow, remove excess chocolate by tapping it against the side of the bowl gently.Here, you may add a few drops from the melted white chocolate to the chocolate and decorate as desired.
- Repeat the steps with the dark to white covered chocolate marshmallows. Sit on a rack or plate and repeat the steps.
This is perfect for the upcoming Valentine’s Day celebration. Makes a great gift as well.