Instant Pot Haitian Black Rice (Diri Djon Djon) Recipe
You’ll love this Instant Pot Haitian Black Rice (Diri Djon Djon) Recipe. It’s fluffy, delicious, full of flavor, and cooks so much faster than over the stove or in a rice cooker.
Servings 8 Servings
- 3 cups Jasmine Rice
- 4 Maggi Cubes
- 1 Medium yellow onion Diced
- 3 Garlic cloves Minced
- 2 cups Frozen green peas
- ½ Red bell pepper strips
- 2 tbsp. Peanut oil or olive oil
- 3 cups Water
- 2 Thyme sprigs
Prepare all of the ingredients. Slice the red bell peppers, dice or chop the onions, mince the garlic, and open the Maggi.
Sautee the onion and garlic for about 1 minute or until fragrant, then add the cubes. Dissolve the cubes completely by constantly stirring it.
Meanwhile, as the cubes continue to dissolve, clean the rice in accordance with the instructions on the package.
Once the cubes are dissolved, add the rice. Stir to fully incorporate all of the ingredients.
Add the water and thyme. Stir just a couple times.
Cover the pot with the lid, turn the knob to sealing. Press the "Rice" button which will cook the rice for 12 minutes.
After 12 minutes, quick release, and add the frozen peas and red bell peppers. Stir it all together. But not too much. Just enough to mix everything.
Serve warm and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.
***Calories are estimated per serving***
HAITIAN BLACK RICE RECIPE NOTES:
- What kind of rice to use to prepare Haitian black rice: You may use jasmine or Basmati rice. For this recipe, Jasmine rice is used. Be mindful of the cooking instructions as the rice cooks differently.
- Although 3 cubes are showing in the picture above, I used for 4 cubes in the recipe. Dissolve the cubes completely by constantly stirring it.
- Before adding the rice, read the instructions in the back to learn how to clean it.
- The peas will not bring down the temperature. I like to add the peas at the end as it helps the color to remain vibrant.
Serving: 8Servings | Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 48mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 7mg