Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies
Tis’ the season! These Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies will put you in the mood for the holiday with the first bite!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 8 minutes
Resting Time 2 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 12 Servings
- Truvia Cane Sugar Blend for sprinkling
- ½ cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend to whip up with the butter and eggs.
- 1 stick unsalted butter – room temperature.
- 1 large egg – best to use room temperature.
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt to balance off the sugar.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and Truvia Brown Sugar Blend with an electric mixer. Beat in egg and molasses until well blended.
In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Stir into the creamed mixture until blended. Chill for at least an hour or overnight if you are making it the next day. When you are ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit for about 10 minutes so that’s it’s easy to roll out.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Use a rolling pin to roll the chilled dough so it is easy for you to use a cookie cutter to cut the desired shapes.
Place the cut shapes onto the baking sheet and top with the Truvia Cane Sugar Blend. This will bake into the cookies.
Bake for 8 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for 2 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.
Molasses Cookies Recipe Notes:
- You can use plastic wrap to chill the dough, or cover the dough in the mixing bowl with a plastic wrap.
- If you accidentally overcook the cookies, they will not be as soft.
- The more milk you use to make the icing the lighter it will be. Because of the level of the sweetness that was added into the cookies, I opt for a lighter icing. Please adjust it to your taste buds.
Serving: 12Servings | Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 1.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Cholesterol: 2.5mg | Sodium: 450mg | Potassium: 491.7mg | Fiber: 0.6g | Sugar: 14.7g | Vitamin A: 18.7IU | Calcium: 9.1mg | Iron: 21.8mg