Slow Cooker Chuck Roast Recipe
Learn to make chuck roast in your crockpot. This slow cooker pot roast is easily served as the main dish for an elegant dinner or Sunday dinner with the family and friends.
Servings 4 Servings
- 3lb. Chuck roast
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 10 0z. Mirepoix Mix
- 2 tbsp. Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 cup Sherry cooking wine
- 1 ½ cup Beef broth – you may also use vegetable broth if desired.
- 1 tbsp. Fresh or dry rosemary
- 4 Sprigs of thyme
- 4 Large carrots
- 2 tbsp. Corn starch
- 2 Shallots cut in half
- 2 Celery stalks sliced
The method is simple. Add the meat to the heated oil in a skillet over high heat. Lightly season with salt and pepper per side as the other side sear. Sear the meat to medium-dark golden color. Then transfer to the pot.
Add all of the remaining ingredients one at a time over and around the meat. Slow cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
Remove the meat and place in a platter to be served. Shred the meat using two forks and set aside. Remove ½ cup of the sauce from the meat and add it to a small saucepan. Bring to a quick boil and add the cornstarch. Whisk or mix until it starts to becomes slurry. Then pour it over the shredded meat. Serve warm and enjoy! Adjust the amount based on the qantity liquid you need.
Slow Cooker Chuck Roast Tips
1. Best to use fresh herbs and garlic as it will intensify the flavors.
2. Add potatoes, such as the gold potatoes to give it a little more depth.
3. Wine is not necessary to use but is a great option.
4. Chuck roast meat is best to use because it is much more tender. 5. You can use baby carrots, but whole carrots are sweeter.
5. To make this dish in the instant pot, follow the directions in the recipe card below, then seal the Instant Pot and set it on high for one hour.
6. Use a dutch oven to make this dish in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Follow the directions in the recipe card below, cover with the lid. Transfer the meat in the oven and cook for 3 hours.
Serving: 4Servings | Calories: 687kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 73g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 226mg | Sodium: 1922mg | Potassium: 454mg | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 286IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 59mg