Dill Rice Recipe
Delicious, bold Persian dill rice recipe that’s made with just a few ingredients. A simple rice recipe that stands alone as part of the main course or sits nicely in the background to be served as a side.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 8 People
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 cup dried dill
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sweet peas frozen or canned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
In a large pan or Dutch oven, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add the dill and cook for about 45 seconds to 1 minute; stirring constantly to avoid burning.
Add the rice, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Stir often.
Add the water, season with salt and pepper. Cover with the lid and cook for 14 minutes. Adjust the heat as needed.
After 14 minutes, reduce the heat to low and remove the lid, and add the peas. Stir; this will also fluff the rice. Cover with the lid and cook for 2 minutes and serve warm. Enjoy!
COOK’S RECIPE NOTES TO MAKE DILL RICE:
- Wash the rice before cooking it to removes the starch. Washing rice helps to prevent clumps and provides a fresh taste.
- The rice will double in size. Before sure to use a pot that’s big enough to accommodate the size.
- If using frozen peas as it is already cooked, thaw the peas in warm water. Add the peas at the end once the rice is cooked and the water has evaporated. Stir and serve immediately. Adding the peas at the end helps keep the peas to look green longer.
- Persian rice recipes require you to use a kitchen towel to wrap the lid. The choice is yours to follow this method. I used a Dutch oven to make this rice and find the result to be the same and the lid is pretty tight. However, if you feel it necessary to use the wrapped lid method, please do so. The choice is completely yours as the results are the same!
Serving: 8People | Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 10.7mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 4.1mg