Ultimate Chicken Pot Pie
Ultimate Chicken Pot Pie – It does not matter the time of year; to some, Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comforting food.
Hello Friends! I’ve shared with you some of my favorite comfort foods. But today, I am sharing with you my husband’s Ultimate Chicken Pot Pie recipe.
Though it is his favorite, I do not make this very often (another dish I do not make often, right?). A few days ago I shared with you my to-go-to Mixed Vegetables Mushroom Soup anytime hubby ask for a quick and easy meal, which by the way is done in 15 minutes. I enjoy cooking and sharing simple dishes that are very tasty and filling, and that does not require tons of hours in the kitchen. My husband and I have our own favorite dishes that comes to mind when we think of comfort food. He on the other hand, ever since we met has always expressed his love for Chicken Pot Pies.
I took rather a short route to make this delicious dish. The ending result was just as satisfying. The combination of the spices and herbs are simply divine!
Depending on where you are from around the world, chicken pot pies can be served for special occasions, or simply a weeknight meal.
As stated above, hubby is a huge fan of Chicken Pot Pies. Unfortunately, I do not make enough of it.
After you are done with all of the prepping and cooking, the pot pie will be filling and most of all, this pot pie will make you feel warm inside.
You may also enjoy The Best Red Beans Gravy.
Don’t focus on your disappointment
Ultimate Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 large cooked boneless chicken breasts, without the skin and shredded. You only need 1 and 1/4 cup of shredded chicken.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 14.5 oz. chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch thinned with 2 tbsp. water
- 1 cup frozen vegetables
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 4 squares puffed pastry
- 1 egg plus 1 tsp. water for coating
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup cooking wine optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pat dry and roast chicken for 25-30 minutes until cooked through. No need to add salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, thin the cornstarch with the water. Set aside.
- In large saucepan melt butter, add onion, and celery and frozen vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir to cook evenly. Add cooking wine and cook for 1 min over medium heat. Add chicken broth and cornstarch mixture bring to a boil and cook 1 min. reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile prep chicken. Shred the chicken with two forks. Add to the soup mixture, along with heavy cream, salt and pepper, and parsley. When the mixture starts to boil, add parsley and salt and pepper. And the chicken too. Cover and allow simmering on low heat.
- Prepare egg wash. Whisk the egg and water together. Set aside.
- Ladle mixture into oven safe bowls and top with puff pastry, securing the sides to the bowl. Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake according to directions on your package of puffed pastry until pastry is golden brown and puffed up. Serve warm.
- It is best to roast the chicken ahead of time. This can be done hours before.