Make dinner in about 30 minutes with this utterly delicious Beef Donburi (Beef & rice bowl). A stress-free, easy going, Japanese rice bowl recipe with step-by-step photos!
This dish is a well-flavored rice bowl topped with beef chipped steak instead of an expensive beef cut, along with vegetables and eggs leaving this beef Donburi with a smooth consistency and mouthwatering flavor.
Donburi (Beef & Rice Bowl)
Nowadays, I find myself going through some of my old recipe books to find inspirations while staying at home. We have a savory local Japanese restaurant in our area, which is owned by a wonderful sweet couple. The menu is filled with rice bowl options – The choices are endless.
Although I have tried the Chicken Donburi at the restaurant and loved it. It’s as equally satisfying to make it at home. So while going through the book, I came across a recipe for Beef Donburi. Since I enjoyed having the chicken version, I knew I would also love the restaurant style beef recipe.
I have tweaked the recipe a bit, mainly to add more personal flavors and exchange the expensive steak cut for something economical without compromising on flavor.
I did exchange vegetable oil or peanut oil for olive oil, water instead of broth, teriyaki sauce instead of soy sauce. Lastly, I did not include the red pepper flakes.
The beauty about this dish is that you can change the ingredients anyway you’d like. But for this recipe, I used the following ingredients:
- Cooked white rice (or you may use rice noodles)
- Olive oil
- Eggs, beaten
- Broccoli florets
- Diced onions
- Beef chipped steak or you can use sirloin steak
- Teriyaki sauce instead of soy sauce (picture above state soy sauce – if you want to keep it more authentic. But either option will work)
- Sesame oil
- Fresh cilantro
- And green onions
Do not be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. The recipe is easy to follow, here’s what you’ll need to do.
Cook the rice in a rice cooker. That way you don’t have to worry about multitasking and you can solely focus on creating the beef dish to top over the rice.
While the rice is cooking, cook the eggs in an omelet form. Then place the eggs on a plate. When the eggs have cooled enough to touch, roll the omelet and cut crosswise into thin slices.
In the same skillet or wok, cook the beef and then add the vegetable. After a few minutes, add the water, oil, eggs, and remaining vegetables. Stir-fry until heated through and serve over rice.
Beef Donburi Variations
You can add any vegetables you’d like. When you’re ready to cook this dish, consider adding bean sprout, snow peas, cauliflower, and chives, all of which taste great with this recipe.
Whatever vegetables you have at your disposal will work.
I highly suggest making a big batch with a lot of runny sauce as you will want this dish over and over again. It’s that good!
Besides, the restaurant versions have less sauce than the homemade version.
What did you serve this Beef Donburi with? Let me know in the comments!
If you love this beef Donburi recipe…
By the way, it warms our hearts to see the recipes you make from this site, and we’d especially would love to know if you tried this recipe, tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can see your beautiful dish.
Also, we would appreciate if could give it a star rating below!
Beef Donburi (Japanese Beef & Rice Bowl)
- Cooked white rice Or Rice Noodles Will Work
- 3 teaspoon Olive oil Divided
- 3 Eggs Beaten
- 2 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 Onion Small; Diced
- 1 Lb. Chipped Beef Steak Or Sirloin Steak Will Work
- 2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- ¼ Cup Water Or Beef Broth
- 3 tablespoon Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 2 Green Onions Chopped
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and cook the eggs in an omelet form. Then place the eggs on a plate. When the eggs have cooled enough to touch, roll the omelet and cut crosswise into thin slices.
- In the same skillet or wok, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil and cook the beef and then add the vegetable. Cook 4 to 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Combine the beef and cornstarch in medium bowl. Heat the remaining teaspoon olive oil in the same skillet; add the beef and cook for 2 minutes. Add the water, Teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, and simmer for 2 minutes or until the sauce has thicken.
- Stir in omelet, reserved vegetables, cilantro, and green onions into the skillet. Cook or stir fry for 1 minute. Serve over rice.